Default shot out M44 Yugo??

My M44 has been recrowned and still will not do better than 4 inches at 100 from a bench rest.

Was thinking of swapping barrels to 762X51 and one know where I can find one??

Or what to do to help the groups?? thanks

4" from the bench is about as well as I can do with any Mauser with those V notch rear and pyramid front sights. In fact 4" is considered more than acceptable at 100 yards by most countries for rifles of that type though mechanically they are all capable of better, sometimes a lot better.

Have the bore diameter checked, and the breach checked for excessive erosion by a gunsmith. The muzzle should be good since it's re crowned. I own one of these rifles that is in superb condition with beautiful bright and shiny bore and with my old eyes and the poor battlesights if I shoot a 3" group from the bench at 100 yards/meters I'm real happy, and about 4" is par for the course for me. It may just be what it is.

A telescopic sight would probably work wonders. there are "scout" mounts that I understand don't require irreversible modification of the rifle.
    Last edited by Art; 01-10-2013 at 06:48.

The Sportmansguide "Military Surplus" catalog I got the other day is having a "clearance" on NOS "8mm Yugoslavian Mauser Barrel(s)" @ $39.99 ea. Stock# A3M-222841 on page 47 of catalog #243142.
    Even if the barrel looks good you might want to check for erroded chamber throat. Just the other day I examined one of those "Russian" 98K's that the owner could never get to shoot well. Using the "pulled bullet & cleaning rod" method, we found that there was nearly 1/2" of "jump" before the bullet would contact the the rifling. I saw another one several years ago that looked really nice, but would keyhole @ 25yds. There was nearly 1.5" of jump in that one. I can't imagine the combat conditions that caused the operator of that rifle to fire it in such a fashion as to cause that kind of wear. All I can think of is "sheer terror".
    BYW jvm, have you tried using differant ammo in your M44?

I agree with Art if you are getting 4 inch groups that's about as good as it is going to get unless you want to change the trigger out. You might shrink it another inch and since the m 48 yugo mauser ( that is what you have I believe ) were the last ones I doubt that yours has seen much use.

Thanks for your help, will try again when it stops freezing here.

6. Default

I have piles of Turk 8mm ammo. Very hot, I find they are loaded with 50gr. Turk flake powder. I pull the bullet and re-load with 45gr. of powder. Much more accurate, but still hot. 40gr. works, too and not so hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Calif Steve View Post
    I have piles of Turk 8mm ammo. Very hot, I find they are loaded with 50gr. Turk flake powder. I pull the bullet and re-load with 45gr. of powder. Much more accurate, but still hot. 40gr. works, too and not so hot.
    I've done the same thing but pulled the bullets and saved the powder to reload in commercial cases. A friend gave me 500-600 WWII African 8mm boxer cases. Reloaded those also and it's really good brass.

Two things come to mind, first, try a few different types of ammo; some rifles have a preferrence. Secondly, smooth the trigger, polish the mating surfaces and use a bit of white grease.
    Some military rifles will only shoot min. of man regardless of anything. What condition is the bore n?

Coles has Norwegian 98k barrels in 7.62 brand new for $99.95.