Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Collectible Mausers ?

I have been collecting Mausers for about eight years now. I own a number of nice rifles including German, American, Swedish, Yugo, Argentine and Persian Mausers. Of course, I don't have examples of all the models of these rifles, but I intend to keep looking for good ones.

My question is what country's Mausers should I next be looking at/for ? I am only interested in quality made rifles that are shootable and will increase in value. I just started looking at some Turkish Mausers, but don't much about them and their quality. The prices on these Turks appear to be very reasonable, which makes me concerned about collecting them.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Do you have 1871 or 71/84 those should be in a Mauser collection as they were the first. They are shootable ammo isn't cheap but you are not going to be shooting them that much reloading is your friend. Sounds like you have most country's covered now start looking for variations in each country and upgrading along the way as you find better examples.

Collecting is just that-wherever your nose takes you.

I like varieties of things, others like whole racks of identical pieces.

Go with what interests you and learn from that. Its all good.

I have an fairly economical M71/84 I'd part with....

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelp View Post

I like varieties of things
    This is me.

I have been collecting them since the 1950's, Have sold many over the years but now have about 85. Like you I only have VG or better examples, unless they are rare models (not many of these). I decided long ago that I just could not get all years/models so I limit my collection to 1898 models made by FN- Germany- Czech- Yugo. The 98 was the last major improvement of the Mauser and thats why I decided on them. I do have examples of Mauser types by other countries, Japan, Siam, US 1903, etc. but only examples, not a complete collection.
    To me Turks, Chinese, and some others are just junk! My buget has always been limited and this way I have a collection that maKes sense rather then a odd grouping of different year models.

A collection of anything should be personal buy what YOU like you have been at for 8 years now you know what you like. Follow that and you will never go wrong you don't have to make anyone else happy oh and I forgot if you haven't some good books are good for learning about models you don't have.

7. Default

A little late to this post, but some of my favorites include the Czech and South American (beyond just the Argentine) variants.

(Edit....didn't realize that this was my first post here. Been watching and reading for a long time.)
    Last edited by jbburrows; 01-16-2013 at 04:58.

I think the Czech VZ23 and VZ 24 rifles are some of the finest Mausers produced anywhere. If you can find non refurbished rifles with unground Czech crests. The 23's are really hard to find.

I agree that the VZ24 is one fine old mauser. I have a couple of them converted to sporters and one still complete fugly frankenturd mismatched that some day might be made into something. But the crest is intact and the parts would work out. Who knows maybe someone will come along someday and give me more than I paid for it, maybe I should just leave a ugly old dog lie.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

Quote Originally Posted by leecork View Post
    ....... I just started looking at some Turkish Mausers, but don't much about them and their quality. The prices on these Turks appear to be very reasonable, which makes me concerned about collecting them.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks
    Lee,

The Turks can be pretty decent rifles. For collectors, they are a world in themselves. The ones from the Ankara arsenal can be a little rough-looking, but the parts that count fit just right. I like the Oberndorff Turkish contract G-98s, and have one `that both looks and shoots great.

Mexican Mausers are really nice, but good ones are hard to find. They are a small-ring '98 and will drop into a '96 Swede stock with just a tiny bit of knife work. Some of them have beautiful wood. An old gunsmith told me that the Mexicans bought their steel from Winchester for some of these rifles.

If I were buying Chinese I would look for a '98 made at the Mukden Arsenal. After the Japanese takeover, some of these were rebarreled to 7.7. The Mukden's I've seen look a lot like a VZ24 for general configuration and for fit and finish.

With mausers, there's always something new!

jn