Thread: Brno 22

1. Default Brno 22

Found this at a yard sale , dirving by and spotted a stock sticking out from under a pile of clothes . When they pulled it out , I was in the Holy Cow ! mode and when I looked down the bore I knew this had to go home with me , they wanted 95.00 for it and I felt I was paying to much , but knew the likely hood of finding another in this shape was slim . So home we went , stopped off and grabbed a box of Core Lokt 180 gr . and set up a target at 100 yds .
    I really think they could have came up with better sights , but still was able to get some 2-3 inch groups with 2 rounds per group going very tight .
    I often thought about getting a scout mount for it and seeing what she'd really do .
    I have some old surplus 8mm ammo that I've had for some time , but just can,t bring myself to shoot it through such a nice bore .
    Have any of you shot any of this and how did it fare ? Kenneth

2. Default

I am assuming you are talking about 8mm Mauser ammo. I have fired a lot of it, back to about 1937 dates, and most of it shoots very well. Some has apparently not been stored in very good condition, and will often show slight "hangfires", a perciptle delay between striker fall and firing. A few will not fire at all.

I have fired a lot of it some as old as 1937 dates. Some shoots well, but some has persistent "hangfires". The hangfires can be dangerous, but only if you open the bolt too soon.

I don't use it anymore, usually pull the bullets, discard the powder and cases, as they are Berdan primed.

Of course it is corrosive primed, and this is alltogther too much bother.

Brno 22? 8m/m ammo? 180 gr bullets? I'm confused, just a 'lil!

4. Default

Brno is the manufacturer of the rifle, model number is 1922, 8mm ammo made in the US sometimes is loaded with 180 grain bullets.

I collect Czech rifles and am famillier with Brno. So you are referring to a 98/22. This was the model # given in a Czech Catalog I have a copy of. The Brno 22 confused me as I also have a #1 rifle in .22 LR!
    Last edited by dave; 01-03-2013 at 01:40.

The Remington factory load is a 170 gr. round nose soft point core locked. I strongly suspect that this is the same bullet Remington loads in the .32 Win. Special cartridge. If that's the case, the .321 bullets should work fine in most Mauser barrels. The Remington and Winchester loads (which also uses a 170 gr. bullet) are loaded to velocities (2360 fps) only slightly higher than .30-30 or .32 Special factory loads with the same bullet weight. These anemic loads are designed with product liability lawsuits in mind. The good news is that the commercial U.S. loads are perfectly suitable for just about any game in the "lower 48" within a couple of hundred yards with the exception of the big bears and as a bonus the Winchester version shoots to the point of aim at 100 yards from my Yugo Model 48.

It's accurate factory ammo and doesn't wreck your shoulder.
    Last edited by Art; 01-05-2013 at 07:52.

7. Default

Yea it's a 98/22 . Guess I just took for granted being in a Mauser thread section every one would know I was talking about a 98/22 . But you have to understand that although I have a few old military rifles my knowledge is no where's as good as you guys who collect them . Just proud of the old rifle and haven't shot it in a couple years . Get it out now and then and check it for rust and dust , cycle the action a couple times and smile and put it back in the safe . Kenneth