Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

When I was in a mech infantry battalion in the NJNG 1977-1981 they were carried on the M88s. Fired one once. Basically our version of the Sten Gun.

Remote Utah desert west of Salt Lake City.

I carried a Smith & Wesson Model 15 in the Air Force in the 1970s, as a Security Policeman. Great .38 revolver. It was standard issue at the time.
    Mentioned this to a coworker, a retired USAF radar repairman, and he said their whole repair crew were issued S&W M15 .38s in the mid 1990s in South America!
    Seems that the M9 Berettas were needed by more active units in the Middle East, but supply hadn't caught up to demand.
    I liked the .38, never did fire the Beretta. I got out before they were adopted.
    "A vast desert. Galena in flight. Smoke. Brimstone. Holes in parchment. The ugly cat is much amused."
    -- The Quantrains of Gatodamus (1503-1566)

when i was i the Air Force, i drew (for an exercise) an M-16. it was 12,000 (plus a couple dozen) serial number, had green furniture, duckbill flash suppressor, triangle shaped charging handle...

carried the M15 smith revolver doing LE augmentee duty, would have carried it as a cargo courier but i never couried anything...

carried M1 Rifles for the Honor Guard...

carried and fired a BAR and fired an M1919 .30 machine gun when we would use the museum's historical group as an Opposing Force team vs. security police, civil engineers and hospital troops during medical red-flag and during SAC exercises...

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ismith View Post
    I heard of an Army Reserve public affairs unit that showed up in Iraq cira 2003 with M16s lacking forward assists.
    Saw a USAF guard at BIAP in March 2005 with a worn version of their XM-177E1 or GAU-5 whatever they called it.
    The lower receiver had no finish left at all was Aluminum covered with a spray of solid film lube

In 1981, when I was in the 1/73 Armor, out at Ft. Irwin, CA, we received a shipment of Grease Guns that were brand new along with magazines that were all in foil wrappers. They all went into the Company Arm's Room. We never got to shoot any of them and as I recall, we never went to the firing range for any small arms training. That is except when we went to the tank gunnery range and then of course we had our M-85's (50 cal.) on our top cupalla's. I think that they must've been the model with the hole in the bolt because I can't remember any bolt handle or knob.
    When I was HQ HQ Commander of the 917th Support Group in Kansas City back around 1985-87, I'd kept all of our 1911 .45's in our arms room instead of turning them all in for the new 9mm's. I just liked the 1911. My replacement switched them over upon taking over though.
    Last edited by Fred; 07-04-2013 at 07:05.

We had to fam fire M-79's at Benning in the 80's. In 2005-06 the Marines had M-79's in the towers on the base perimeter. Our (PANG) kids had no idea what they were and the Marines were surprised when some of us "old" doggies knew what they were- and even knew how to use them. I never spent a minute in a tower, but you never pass up a chance to shoot something cool.

There were also some m-60's on top of vehicles even though they were replaced by the M-240. It seems like infantry units had priority for "new" weapons, then the other combat arms, then everybody else. The units that would be considered "rear eschelon" had the old stuff like the 60's.
    I dream of a better world. One where chickens may cross the road without their motives being questioned.

US 1917 enfield for guard duty 1966 at boot camp in Mississippi. No ammo, it was pristine. Wish I could have kept it

As an MP at Ray Barracks in the FRG, I remember reading the desk blotter about an incident involving an E-5 squad leader in 1/36 Inf dressing as a Soviet soldier complete with battle tunic, helmet and AK-47 drawn from the arms room (a lot of units had soviet weapons in their arms room for familiarization) and attempted to "scare" the new troop pulling guard duty at the motorpool. Poor troop had no ammo and it scared the crap out of him. E-5 got busted for pulling his prank.

Quote Originally Posted by joem View Post
    US 1917 enfield for guard duty 1966 at boot camp in Mississippi. No ammo, it was pristine. Wish I could have kept it
    Now except for no ammo that I find to be very cool.

10. Default

in '68-69 in Nam, the Arvin and PF had M2 carbines, Thompsons, M1s and grease guns. Got to fire them all what a hoot, I believe some of our tankers still had the grease gun. When I moved to a farm in VA in 1975 I met a class 3 dealer that I allowed to come to the farm and shoot all the rock and roll guns, MG34s and 42s and every other full auto arm there was she would come with a U-haul trailer full of ammo, talk about being in hog heaven. Those of you who go to the VA gun shows and know Joan should ask her about the shooting