Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Found a Mauser this morning

Mauser's are unfamiliar territory for me.

Priced at $399.95

S/42 marked, 1937 dated. All Nazi stampings, no import markings. Stock appears to be a reddish walnut color. External numbers seem to match with exception of bolt.

Would there be a visible serial number on the barrel ? Gun shop won't let me disassemble.

Thanks.

Yes, should be on side almost next to reciever number. Sounds like a steal. Many early (60's) imports were not 100% matched. If the bolt matches itself thats a good sign of a GI bring back. Captured rifles sometimes were thrown in piles with bolts remeved. Surrendered rifles sometimes had their bolts thrown away before surrender, etc. It may have been rebarrled by the Germans, 1937 is pretty early date. Would need to know all markings on the rifle, even under the wood. If it has an X stamp on reciever/barrel it is an RC.

Just came back from a 2nd look. No serial number on side of barell, just the Nazi symbol and Number 79 on top of barrel at junction of barrel and receiver.

Bolt does not match itself. Bolt has 2 different numbers.

Floor plate and floor plate screws match receiver S/N as does follower.

Stock has been refinished and there are no Nazi markings that I can detect. There is a 4 or 5 digit number that has been partially removed from stock that runs horizontal with buttplate under the stock hole. Can not make out numbers but they do not appear to be part of serial number.

Barrel band with sling swivel S/N does not match. Rifle is very clean overall. Stock refinish makes it very appealing to the eye. Metal matches in finish and worn appearance.

Tried moving barrel band around to look for duffle cut with no luck. Couldn't get it to move.

No X marks ,line outs or electro penciling.
    Last edited by 6thMARDIV; 12-16-2012 at 08:19.

Sounds like a rebuild done after the war, by some country. With stock refinished, markings gone, it is no longer a collectors piece. The number removed is not original German but a number added later (by some country). The Russians did this type re-numbering. The X may be very small or perhaps on early RC rebuilds not present? The 7.9 is bore dia of barrel, which may have other stamps below wood line (usually a maker/date code). Would have to revise my statement above, not a steal but an average price for a 'shooter'. In those early years every part of that rifle will have at least last two numbers of serial. Rifle must be taken apart to see if "matching".

Thanks for the guidance Dave, guess i'll keep looking.

Ask if they can reduce the price some.

6th,

You are probably looking at a shooter, not a collector gun. Is the bore good? Sometimes the chambers can be so loose that cases split - one way to find that out is buy the gun and shoot it. I would try to get the rifle for $200.

Good luck!

jn

I was thinking more like $250.00 to $275.00.

The problem is Russian Capture K98s are retailing for close to 400 bucks now days.
    Enfield, everything else is just a rifle. Unless it's a Garand.

Long pig, it's what's for Dinner!

Quote Originally Posted by Hal O'Peridol View Post
    The problem is Russian Capture K98s are retailing for close to 400 bucks now days.
    Wow, I didn't know they went up that much.