1. Default CS-35 A signal corp pouch w/tools ?

I have one of these sets with the TL-29 knife and the TL-13 A pliers I have seen many of the CS-34 leather pouches but none of the coated canvas CS-35 A pouch when were these issued and are they very rare.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Johnny in Texas; 11-08-2012 at 08:32.

2. Default

Hi Johnny. There's a photo of both the leather and canvas CS-35 pouches in Mike Silvey's book, "Pocket Knives of the United States Military". According to Silvey, they were both WWII issue with the canvas pouch CS-35A being used when leather was in short supply. Don't know how scarce the canvas pouches are, but you certainly do see a lot more of the leather ones. I think the leather ones may have also been made post War.

What does your's look like? The one in the book is made of dark OD canvas with light color stitching. The flap is more rectangular than on the leather ones, and there is a black metal tab that runs along the bottom. The leather pouches do not have this metal tab at the bottom.

3. Default

Tom thanks for the info. I bought this with a couple spools of como. wire and some WWII field phones for my son and I to play with. Really for me to play with.
    I added pictures I heard the web case was used in tropical environments because leather tended to rot. Canvas slings for rifles are an example of this also but leather could have been in short supply as well. I like the canvas case CS-35 A because it has the wire belt hanger.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Johnny in Texas; 11-08-2012 at 08:53.

4. Default

The use of the canvas pouch in tropical environments makes sense.

The one pictured in Silvey's book has a black metal tab on the bottom. I see your's has an OD color metal tab.

5. Default

This one has a OD painted metal tab on the flap and the bottom I need to get Silvey's book.

6. Default

The tabs on mine are green also.