Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default 03A3 to 03A4rgery - Anybody cut the A4 Bolt Notch in their A3 Reciever??

I am working on assembling all the special parts and figuring out all the correct modifications to make an 03A3 into a "correct" - except for markings, of course - physically (and functionally) exact copy of an 03A4. As an older, heavier guy, this would be a match I could do well at!

One thing I have not heard much about is doing the Bolt Cutout in the side of the 03A3 Reciever to give clearance for the 03A4 modified bolt to close entirely, all the way, as all the originals were done. As I recall off the top of my head, the cutout I measured in a for real 03A4 last week was about .645 wide and on a 45 degree angle, with the back edge rounded to get rid of a sharp corner behind the bolt root, lining up perfectly with an original 03A4 stock.

If anyone has done this - how about sharing your experience? Any observations that might be helpful? CC
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

2. Default

There was no such cut out in the receiver. A real A4 bolt fits the receiver with no modification to the receiver.

jt

Quote Originally Posted by Marine A5 Sniper View Post
    There was no such cut out in the receiver. A real A4 bolt fits the receiver with no modification to the receiver.

jt

That was what I recalled too jimmy.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

4. Default

The example gun I saw appeared to have it's original arsenal finish over the cut, and I pointed out the cut to the owner - he thought it was standard on all 03A3s, as well. I thought it had to be real, as the rest of the parts looked right, and his bolt would not completely close in my 03A3 uncut reciver. Curious..... CC
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

If you have to cut the receiver for the bolt, your bolt is incorrect.

6. Default 1903A4 with notched receiver

I have attached a picture of an original ( although sporterized ) A4 that has the notch. It's one of the early ones in the 3.42 Million range. Could it have something to do with the vintage, i.e. ,early or late?

all genuine A4,s have a mill cut under the bolt root.
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

I'm not sure if there are variations, but the one and only A4 I have held in my own hands has a notch under the bolt root.

9. Default

I repeat, any A4 bolt will fit any 03A3 without modification to the receiver. They all have the milled area shown in the pic. No modification is required (except the unique stock cut).

jt

10. Default