Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sling Choice

I have a Les Tam that replaced an old, nondescript GI sling. It's great and will surely outlast me like the GI sling did my dad. I do like the smell of saddle leather.
    I liked the utility of the Biothane sling that I tried later and would have gone with that, given the choice (because I'm cheap). The Biothane is not an inferior sling; if you are starting out, I would recommend it over a leather sling. Both require a break-in period. The biothane break-in might take a little longer but I think it will last you through your High Power carrier and that of your children's.
    Some people don't like the smell of farm animals or leather or gun powder or diesel fuel. Give it a sniff and make up your mind.

To bring it full circle. I asked Santa for 1 thing this year, and it was the Biothane sling. I've been using it for my dry fire practice since and I used it this weekend at the range. All of your comments were spot on. It smells like the plastic pool toys you get for the kids, but it isn't noticable to me outside. It is harder to get in and out of compared to leather, but it stays absolutely tight once it is on....just don't wait till the last second to sling up. I will probably round the legs of the frogs to make it easer to get into the holes. I plan on using it this year on my AR service rifle. I suspect it will be excellent on 03's and Garands too, where keeping the sling tight is critical for recoil control. Thanks to all of you for your input.

3. Default

Try Les Tam, he was using hooks and parts off original slings? I've used his extensively after I kept growing so big. First rate all the way!
    Steve
    The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson