Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sling Choice

Default Sling Choice

This is a "competition" question, not a "collector" question. Has anybody here tried the Turner Biothane sling? If so, what did you think of it? I'm concerned that it won't stay put on my arm. If you lost all your other slings would you buy a leather or biothane for XTC shooting?

Thanks!

2. Default

I've used them since they came out and really like them. The first one I ever bought is still in use and works fine. All my rifles have them. I'll never go back to leather or web.

No slip, no stretch, no break-in needed.

In fact, the no slip part is so "no slip" that some folks have a hard time getting in and out of them. It takes a little getting used to but if you stick with it it gets easier.

Before you use it do two things:

-Pull the staples out of the keepers and re-sew with dental floss - If you're like me and really reef down on your sling the staples will eventually pull out

-Use a file or Dremel to round the sharp corners off the frog hooks - Forcing a square hook into the round hole will tear the biothane - It'll still hold but look ratty

Maury

As Maury has said, the Biothane slings work, and the guys that like them swear by them. I've got custom-built leather slings, they work, I like'um, therefore nothing's broke, so I don't need to fix it! If I'd picked up a Biothane back in the day.....that story could very well be different.

Blog Entries

Mine sticks like it's glued to my coat. Jim Owens sells a version for his no pulse method that includes an oversized D ring on the short strap and two oversized keepers. The plan is to install it on the coat and leave it there with just a quick pass through the front sling swivel and hook, it's very fast. Only problem with that is it's too complicated to install back on the rifle for standing, he suggests a web sling for that position.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Thank you guys. This is exactly the type of information I was looking for. I have a couple of leather Turners too, and they do work well, but I need (ok, prefer to have) one more sling. Nobody in my circle of friends happens to have one that I could examine or try. I feel confident enough now to make the purchase. As always, I appreciate your time in helping me!

I bought a biothane when they first came out. Everything that Maury said is true, but he didn't tell you how bad they smell; like a pile of burning tires, and bad enough to make me gag. I discovered that gagging and dry-heaving didn't do anything at all to improve my scores, so I am back to real leather. Maybe a bottle of Febreeze would help ... ?

Resp'y,
    Bob S.

P.S. My nose should not be very sensitive considering that I was once a long-time smoker. Go figure.
    Resp'y,
    Bob S.

USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

HA! I thought that somebody might say that the slings stink, but not ACTUALY stink! As an ex-farmer/rancher most smells don't affect me much. The wife however, can tell what I had for luch as soon as I walk in the door. This should drive her to drink trying to find out what this new smell is! Thanks Bob and rest.

Regards

The Ron Brown leather slings are top notch if looking for something other than a Turner.

I was pointed toward his product via phone by Les Tam. Les was calling to tell me he couldnt supply a sling in a timely manner and he recommended Ron Brown (this really reinforced all the good things I have heard about Mr. Tam and his way of doing business - first class human being). Les trained Ron Brown in his methods and uses the same Hermann Oak Leather. It is a substantially heavier sling than the Turners and Turners are pretty good.

I buy the Ron Browns from Creedmore when they come on sale or I can get free shipping and it makes them price competitive with the Turner 1st runs.
    Last edited by pmclaine; 10-16-2012 at 08:22.

9. Default

Me too on Ron Brown slings. Also, the holes are numbered....a small thing but very handy.

10. Default

Ron Brown and Les Tam all the way. I do have a biothane. It is on my CLE .22 to quickly identify it as the .22.
    They work as well as any other, if you put them on correctly. I just prefer the thick leather, and beefy hardware of the premium slings.