Smile Help with a Butchered Bringback 98K

Hello All - I don't play with Mausers nearly as much as I used to, and I normally hang out on a couple of other forums. My niece's husband, who is an Army helo pilot, just inherited an Erfurt 98K that his Grandfather brought home from Europe at the end of WWII. It has not only been chopped (the stock), but it has been neglected in an out building for some years. He brought it to me to re-assemble into a semblance of it's former self. Good news is the barrel is in good shape, and the headspace checks OK. I am looking for a source to obtain the forward portion of the stock, handguard, upper band, lower band, bayonet mount, and cleaning rod. I want to save the old stock because it still has all the old numbers and Nazi proof marks intact. If you fellows know of an economical source for these items, please fill me in. Thanks for your help. Regards, Clark
    Last edited by Clark Howard; 09-22-2012 at 04:48. Reason: spelling

Try Springfield Sporters, they have a nice assortment of parts.
    Make sure you order K98 or K98 Nazi specific parts.
    http://www.ssporters.com/parts/98-mauser.html
    How about some pics....

D.

3. Default

You might try ebay for the complete stock and handguard. Big gunshows are also a source. Nice project.

4. Default

Erfurt was a Royal Arsenal during WWI. The K98k was not invented yet. Are you sure that the karbiner did not start out as a K98AZ?

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Calif Steve View Post
    You might try ebay for the complete stock and handguard. Big gunshows are also a source. Nice project.
    The K98AZ is a small ring action. If fitted to a K98k stock, gaps will be present around the receiver ring.

This rifle is 1937 production, coded for Erfurt. It is a large ring 98k. After watching a few stocks sail into orbit on ebay, I rang up Springfield Sporters last Monday. The man was most helpful when I explained my project. He suggested the correct parts for the restoration. All for a very reasonable amount. Thanks for the assistance. Regards, Clark