Default WW2 ribbon attachment?

Back when I was serving in Uncle Sam's navy, service ribbons were attached to our uniforms by means of little round brass doodads called "clutches" that slid over the backs of pins.

I'd like to obtain period-correct examples of the ribbons my father earned during his time in service. What I'm finding for sale are ribbons with both the pin and clutch style attachment, as well as others with a sort of safety pin style arrangement on the back.

I'd like to find out what was the norm in the 1942-1945 time period. Does anyone here know?

Thanks.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

2. Default

There was a third method of attachment that was popular in the intervening war years when there was very little change to a member's awards and that was direct "embroidery" to a piece of uniform material that was sewn to the uniform.

I'm under the impression that prior to and early in WWII the "safety" pin attachment was more common, and in the later years clutch attachment became more popular. However during the War there were changes to the uniform regulations and so many manufacturers producing material for sale to the millions of people in service that there was bound to be variation in construction and quality.

The standard ribbons were slightly wider than those worn now.

You may want to post this question to the U.S. Militaria Forum where uniform collectors drone on endlessly over the details of the regulation and non-regulation wear of decorations.

I had forgotten all about those embroidered ribbons. I've seen them in the past. Thanks for bringing them up.

I'll check out the U.S. Militaria Forum in the morning. I doubt that my dad ever got his ribbons. I know I never got mine . . . just a form saying I was entitled to wear them. I have a box of his things though and I think his ribbons should be in there.

I appreciate the input. -IJ
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Depends on how many ribbons there were. If several, the pin attachment would be slid out and the ribbons attached to a "ribbon bar" to keep them neatly aligned.
    www.MedalsofAmerica.com
    You can get everything you need from their catalog or website. They also do the medals (except for the top one), insignia both cloth and metal, and rank badges.
    Last edited by John Sukey; 09-16-2012 at 06:48.