Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Babe in the woods" on Swedish Mausers and need some help

I'm looking at a Swedish Mauser, and, except for the fact I don't know the first thing about them, it looks pretty good ... almost TOO good. As it is an auction site and I don't really want to post publically, would anyone reasonably knowledgeable on them PM or email me?

Time is short, so let me know.

TIA!

RtL

P.S. my email address is rrsbls[at]msn.com (make the usual substitution)
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Depends on price, matching numbers, and condition. Most all Sweds are like new or 'slightly' used so looking 'too good' is no surprise. After all what else from a country who has not fought a war in many a year (or century). 300-400 would be going price now, from what I hear. The 94 model carbine would be closer to 6-700.
    Last edited by dave; 08-26-2012 at 01:51.

All good points -- I didn't want to say too much about the rifle, as it was an online aution on Gunbroker. I won the rifle for $351.00 Here's the link:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=302146516

You're admonition about doing the homework first is entirely justified and I have told other people the same advice numerous times. What's the saying, "Those that can't do, teach" ???
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

I think you did ok Rick, thats a fine looking rifle!

I had it at $275 and was hoping it would stay there, but had somebody last-minute come in, but I beat them off.
    --C.S. Lewis

Sorry about the 'admonition', I did not look at posters name till I posted it. When I saw it was you and I thought "He knows that!" he may be offended, so I went back, immediatly and edited that out! Why you saw it I do not know!
    Moderator????
    A few minor m/m parts, which is not unusual now-a-days. I have two altho I try to stay with 98 models. They say they shoot really good, have yet to try mine!

No offense taken WHATSOEVER!! All the things you said I have told numerous others and I broke all the rules!! I had it so I get notified whenever I got a response and I must have been notified as soon as you posted it.

You were right in everything you said. As I said, the only reason I didn't post more is I didn't want to "broadcast" the auction in case others picked it up.
    --C.S. Lewis

8. Default

Congratulations on your new Swede. I have had a few of them and every one was a tack driver. After several years without one, I too, just acquired another, this one a 1917 Carl Gustafs.

I'm going to keep this one, the bore is excellent and if the disc in the buttstock is to be believed, the bore is new (it looks like it). Also mine has been drilled and tapped for the Swedish target sights, which leads me to hope that it might be a bit more accurate than normal.

I've heard a lot about the Swedish Mausers and how much fun they are to shoot and how accurate they are. Look forward to giving it a try.
    --C.S. Lewis

Ha! Welcome to the .264 realm. I have two - one of which is in CG63 configuration. I love them both. The 6.5x55 round is kind to the shoulder and is an accurate round. Those small diameter, but long, bullets can be had in weights from 80 to 160 grains. All sorts of reloading options exist and are well documented and proven. I opted to install MOJO sights on one of mine and have enjoyed shooting it at both paper and varmints. Yours appears a bit of a mixmaster, but like the 03 that should only affect resale value, not the gun's value as a shooter. Also, don't pay much attention to the disk marking. You can decipher it easily if you Google the topic, but it only indicates the wear of the barrel at the time of the last armorer's inspection. That could be 90 years ago! You're going to enjoy shooting that smokepole, Rick!
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.