Very cool. thanks!

Page 2 & 3 are missing?
    Last edited by ClaudeH; 08-18-2012 at 10:38.

2. Default

WOW!! Anybody here still think we are so much smarter than our grandfathers generation? Look at the planning just for one operation on one part! We may have computerized what they did by hand - but the unbelievable number of processes and operations, the knowledge of metallurgy and chemistry - these were not invented by simple or ignorant men!

It also shows how much effort and treasure a simple Service Rifle was worth to a nation...... CC
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

Observations:

They stipulate dipping in >boiled< linseed oil. On the other hand, they do not mention staining at all. So maybe they were not that attentive beyond the machining of the stock?

They have a few pages for each of the BAR, Lewis and Vickers, but nothing about the Browning 1917 LMG. Was that too big of a deal to let any info out?

Lastly: Someone needs to send Boyds a link to that pdf, it has all sorts of information on dimensions, fixtures and gages for machining the stock. It seems sort of old-tech being published in 1917, but it sure beats whatever tech Boyds is using!

Oh! I'm still wondering if any of our advanced members might have that book in their library or have access to it, that they might tell us what was on pages [2] and [3]. I wonder if they just missed it in scanning, if someone had ripped that page out or if it's a publishing error.
    Last edited by ClaudeH; 08-20-2012 at 12:54.

Default Good to hear from you again..............

Hey LAH,

Did you get over your "senior moment" ?? Hey, my memory is perfect, it is just the "re-call" feature that short circuits nowdays.

Are you back in AR now ?? How is your's ?? I have one now. Graduated PI on 12/13/11. Now in NC, and a Lance Corporal. Notice the extra stripe at graduation ?? Made PFC before graduation. He's doing OK, I had to buy new shirts to replace the ones with buttons missing.

Keep in touch. I have the book you referenced; if you want to borrow it, just let me know. It will only cost a duck hunt in the flooded timber of AR !!!

Later,

Emri

5. Default

I do have the book - and it was reprinted in November 1984.

It is titled "Manufacture of the Model 1903 Springfield Service Rifle", reprinted by Wolfe Publishing Co. Inc, PO Box 3030, Prescott, Arizona 86302. ISBN 0-935632-20-4

The very first pages are a foreward and introduction. So missing that does not deprive you of any of the manufacturing data.

If you do a search on Biblio.com you will find it has been reprinted again, in both paper (about $35) and Hardback (about $50) and should be available to order.

Cheers, CC
    Last edited by Col. Colt; 08-26-2012 at 06:44.
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

I thought it looked familiar. I may have the 1984 edition. (In the piles of unfindable-since-moving in my barn!)

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Emri View Post
    Hey LAH,

Did you get over your "senior moment" ?? Hey, my memory is perfect, it is just the "re-call" feature that short circuits nowdays.

Are you back in AR now ?? How is your's ?? I have one now. Graduated PI on 12/13/11. Now in NC, and a Lance Corporal. Notice the extra stripe at graduation ?? Made PFC before graduation. He's doing OK, I had to buy new shirts to replace the ones with buttons missing.

Keep in touch. I have the book you referenced; if you want to borrow it, just let me know. It will only cost a duck hunt in the flooded timber of AR !!!

Later,

Emri
    Emri

No not totally. Everything I got seems to be getting shorter these days.

That is one fine looking young man, or more correctly, MARINE!!! Makes me wish I was
    about 35 years younger.

I will most definately treat you to a duck hunt, but the Lord is going to have to start letting go a little more water our way. The ducks are having to walk every where they go. LOL Maybe a quail hunt to tide you over!!!

God Bless All

Loy

8. Default

I work in a machine shop...this is awesome. I am amazed every time I think about this stuff but to have this information...wow, I am just dumbfounded. This is just awesome. I love it. Thank you!

Where in the world did you find this? LOL I look high and low for stuff like this... and come up dry. SHEEEEEESHHH!!!
    Last edited by milboltnut; 03-18-2018 at 12:03.
    For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.