Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Best book on 03/A3

I looked through Brophys and Poyer...Poyer is better. But I have heard there is better. Could someone direct to it? Just seen one by J.C. Harrison..

Thanks
    Last edited by milboltnut; 03-12-2018 at 06:21.
    For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

If you're not familiar with the M1903A3, Canfield's book is a decent introduction, although not without error. You have to tread carefully through Poyer.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

did you read my thread "Im so confused" Rick? LOL
    For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Hey Rick how about...

"The Collectable '03" by J.C Harrison?

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by milboltnut View Post
    I looked through Brophys and Poyer...Poyer is better.
    You won't find many who agree with that evaluation.

Hey Rick how about...

"The Collectable '03" by J.C Harrison?
    Harrison's and Poyer's book are in the same category. Both have value if you have a caged bird and don't mind taping the pages together.

J.B.

Quote Originally Posted by clintonhater View Post
    You won't find many who agree with that evaluation.

Brophy had very little info on the A3.... I don't have an 03.. maybe when I do I'll need his book. I'm not that of an avid collector, just seeing if rifles are original/correct, and shoot not wall hangers. It seems to me brophys book had too much on accessories, I'm not into accessories.

Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by milboltnut; 03-21-2018 at 04:35.

I admit I may using my faulty memory, but William Brophy's original intention in writing his massive book, was to detail just the Springfield M1903, not the other manufacturers. As I recall it, it was Brophy's friends who strongly suggested that the other makers - Rock Island, Remington and Smith-Corona, be included.

It must be admitted that a truly detailed book on the M1903s and M1903A3s manufactured in World War II has yet to be written. Bill Brophy's book, although still the "yardstick" for all other M1903 books, was written over 30 years ago.
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 03-21-2018 at 04:45.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

9. Default

Brophy had very little info on the A3....
    My favorite isn't actually Brophy, but the last of the three '03 books Clark Campbell's wrote: The '03 Springfield Rifles. Contains plenty on A3s. Big book, but not so much on accessories, except bayonets, grenade launchers, few other standard-issue items.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    If you're not familiar with the M1903A3, Canfield's book is a decent introduction, although not without error.
    Which book are you referring to, Rick? I haven't seen his "A Collector's Guide to . . . " book, but I did buy his "An Illustrated Guide to the 03 Springfield Service Rifle" on impulse and was very disappointed. It's a nice coffee table book with lots on the history of the rifle, but very little of the type of information the OP is looking for. At $50, I don't feel it was much of a bargain.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997