Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Swedish M96

1. Default New Swedish M96

I recently won this M96 at an on-line auction. It looks to be in extremely good shape and these are becoming a little pricey here in California. Thought I better get it while the getting it is still good.

It is not "all matching", but isn't a total mix-master, either. The receiver, bolt, all bolt parts, buttplate and stock are all matching. The floor plate, bolt release, barrel bands are not. Stock disc is marked "1" in the barrel condition segment.

Did Swedish armories play "mix and match" with these rifles when they were in for service, or was this likely put together with non-matching parts after it was imported?

I'll try to get a bore picture posted.
    Last edited by Calfed; 09-09-2014 at 09:36.

Nice piece Calfed. I would like to find one already butchered up but in good condition to put into use as a hunting sporter.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

Looks like a really nice piece! Good find.

Ed

4. Default

Thanks, Ed and Bud

hoping to shoot it this week sometime.
    Last edited by Calfed; 08-17-2012 at 08:39.

5. Default

If there was a forum for Swiss rifles on this website, I would post pics of the 3 Swiss rifles I also got at the auction.

Swiss rifles shoot too well and ought to be illegal in CMP competition for MILITARY rifles.... They never saw combat!

7. Default

lol--so too then the Swede Mauser

'If there was a forum for Swiss rifles on this website, I would post pics of the 3 Swiss rifles I also got at the auction'

Post em up! would love to see them. Put them up on guntalk.
    Last edited by milsurpman; 08-16-2012 at 04:27.

Calfed,

The Swedes I've owned all had 100% matching numbers. The floor plate is something they definitely would have kept with it's original rifle, ditto the bolt release. Something happened. At the same time it looks like a rifle that never saw service. I've seen that finish on the stock before, most recently on my mint Ljungman that I sold like a fool.

Parts may have been robbed from your rifle and sent to field units ... and then when the '96es were finally sold off, your partial gun got whatever was available.

BTW, the Swedes were death on Norwegian resistance fighters. Even after the war, my grandmother was briefly a POW in a border incident. She told the story funny, but it was live ammo.

jn