Thread: "

1. Default Argentine 1891

I won this '91 Argy at an on-line auction yesterday. Stock looks in great shape, metal appears to have some light surface rust.

Seal buffed off, unfortunately.

Description stated:
    Argentine Model 1891 Bolt Action Rifle, #W3386, 7.65 Arg. cal., 29-1/2'' barrel, blue finish, walnut stock, with sling. Condition is very good to fine retaining approx. 90%+ toning blue. Crest ground. Wood is excellent. Action is crisp, bore is bright. Appears all matching.
    Last edited by Calfed; 09-09-2014 at 09:43.

Looks like a typical Arg. 91 long rifle that was imported back in the '60's. Few got by w/o a ground crest, even some early imported '09's were ground and they came in later. I have seen one un-grnd. '91 but it had been sportered. You have a nice rifle, should clean up with a lil oil and fine steel wool.

What ever else you do to that rifle, DO NOT attempt to remove the handguard!

That chunk of wood is held on to the barrel by some EXTREMELY FINE copper wire . . . . wound very tightly around the barrel and handguard grooves!

Why the 91's were made that way is anyone's guess, but I know of no other rifle with the handguard held on this way!

Also . . . . Some of the 91's have a shorter handguard. (I have one on mine.)
    I THINK the early 91's had these 'cause the earlier Turkish Model 90 rifle used these . . . . and the follow-on Model 1891 Argentine simply used up the left-over Turkish wood.
    This is merely MY opinion, but it makes sense to me so I'm stickin' with it 'til proved wrong!

You've got a nice rifle there . . .good luck! --Jim

Another great score!

Ed

5. Default

Thanks, Ed