Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dented scabbard repair

Anyone have any non-destructive, non-invasive methods that have been proven to work?

I have a very early Krag scabbard (sharp-cornered hook x "keystone") which I'd like to improve a little bit. My thoughts, so far, have centered on some sort of multi-bladed sliding wedge apparatus.

A rod with a tee head in the form of a polished oval, which could be rotated at the dent, might also work, though I suspect the rod would twist first.

Thanks in advance.

2. Default

Check with your local auto body paintless dent removal shop. They have all kinds of specialized tooling for removing dents from inaccessible places. Maybe they could help?

I think it is one of those things that ends up worse than the dent. It ends up looking like a dented dent.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    I think it is one of those things that ends up worse than the dent. It ends up looking like a dented dent.
    That's the problem. The metal is now stretched and it's difficult to shrink it back to remove the dent. I would cut some sheet metal shims that will go in next to the blade. You need enough shim that it fits in the scabbard before the dent but won't go past it. Then, pushing on the bayonet with the shims, apply some dry ice to the scabbard dent. If the dent gets cold enough, the dent will pop out from the force of the bayonet/shims.

Now, if it pops out, leaving the bayonet/shims in place, tap around the dent with a small ball peen. It is possible to get it to flatten out, at least the majority of it.

Thanks to all.

Hadn't thought about dry ice. Wonder if it would have any effect on the brazed seam? Problem is it is a very scarce and valuable scabbard, hence the need for great care.

6. Default

Perhaps remove the metal 'throat/tension flat spring' and insert a shaped piece of hardwood?

How about getting a piece of wood, the nominal shape of the bayonet and inserting it slowly, tapping as you meet resistance?
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

In the past I've used a shaped wood mandrel to open up a bent 98/05 scabbard so it would receive a blade. Worked well enough to take a blade but didn't remove the dent. Further cautious attempts at that began to show signs of distortion so I stopped. Remember, the opposite side of the dent will want to move too.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Dick, have you considered something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Simoniz-MPAD-4...ro+dent+puller

Have used it on the wife and son's car, it works. You use the glue gun to glue the center post onto the dent, wait about 10 minutes for setup. Insert the handle then slowly start tightening the tension knob. Pulls minor dents out easily. Heavier ones might take 2 or 3 tries.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

My objection to inserting a piece of wood is if the wood breaks, you now have a completelhy unusable scabbard.
    About the same idea as using a wood dowel to punch out a stuck case in a BP rifle