Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Maury

Thanks for the reply. My up close vision went at 40 YOA. I've used Bob Jones lenses and corrected shooting glasses. Both are big improvements but still not like it was back when I was 20/10 & 20/15 and no presbyopia.

I am familar with Art N. from the NM Forum. Ive used Neal Stepp at ISS in the past and brand loyalty directed me back to him. I'll brush up on hyperfocal over at NM and ask Neal about it. I still shoot the M1A but and drifting towards match rifle and prone. Hopefully one size fits all.

I still have plenty of trouble with the wind and I'll buck or drag wood for 9s or worse but I can SEE all that now. Those out-of-nowhere-looked-good-to-me-WTF? shots are now just a bad memory.

That's me - wind is good, touch it off, looks right down the middle and it's a wide 9. That is frustrating to the point of taking the fun out of it.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Griff Murphey View Post
    This is interesting to me because as I have aged my right eye's nearsightedness has decreased. My uncorrected focal point is just about where you say it should be; about 4 1/2 feet away. I get a great sight picture, not counting the bull, uncorrected. And I see A GREAT sight picture dry firing indoors, uncorrected. The "bull" is maybe 5-7 feet away.

But when I aim in at an SR at 100 or 200, I do not see the bull well enough. So I think our eye focuses back and forth, and it is a complex issue. Basically, it's hades getting old(er).
    Very, interesting to me also. Just like Griff, My right eye, now, clearly focuses on front sight but coyote or pig is a slight blur. I thought this was detrimental to shooting, so I have been transitioning to scope hunting (which I don't like for this short distance). The confusing part is that my left eye is better and I can focus on both the front sight and the target, Wish I was left handed. However Jim and Maury say I shouldn't be able to do this anyhow.
    Last edited by Tom; 08-05-2012 at 08:41.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    With a scope, target and sight (cross hair) are on one focal plane, so your eyes need not focus back and forth on objects at different distances. With peep sights you have two objects, the front sight and target. You should look "thru" the peep, ignore it, and look at the front sight and your eye will center the front sight at the 'point of strongest lite' which is the center of the peep. The bull should just remain a blur---don't try to bring that in focus or you eye will be going 'back and forth', so to speak. That was the advantage of a peep over open sights. Peeps should be close to the eye, allowing for recoil!
    You may have been concentrating on centering the front sight in the peep hole and front sight on target, etc. Peep sight are very good for quick shots in the field. For hunting larger holes are called for.

Dave, I did that, I slightly drilled-out the peep on one of my sport a3's. Somewhere between ghost and mil. Seems to give me a faster look at what I'm shooting at. What do you think of hunting with ghost ring only?
    Last edited by Tom; 08-05-2012 at 08:38.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    ...However Jim and Maury say I shouldn't be able to do this anyhow...
    There are laws of physics that control how light waves act and generalities on how parts of the human body work and age but there are no absolutes that describe how every individual will perceive things. What you see, what I see, and what a third person sees may not be (often aren't) exactly the same.

If you see better with your left eye (left eye dominant) the current conventional wisdom is you'll shoot better by switching.

But again that depends on the individual. I'm left or right eye dominant depending on which glasses I'm wearing, very right-handed, and an M1 is a right-handed rifle. So I shoot right-handed. It's easier and, if I execute a good shot, I see well enough to hold the 10-ring.

It depends on the situation too. For controlled shooting on a known distance range what I do works for me. In a different application such as hunting, it might not work out so well.

All theories and generalities and conventional wisdom aside, if something works for you that's the only thing that really matters.

Maury