Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    I believe that sporters were made after 1905 in the old J loading. It was a very good sporting round, equal to the .30-06 and loaded with several bullet weights up to 250 gr. It was very popular in Europe. And hunters are very reluctent to give up calibers they have used for years. There were no military rifles made in the J loading after 1905 however.
    You're correct Dave, the J barrel was commerically used for many years after the S bullet appeared. I'm becoming more and more convinced that the 8.2 marking on DBEAR1's rifle represents August 1902. I say that because his gun has neither the Blachen proof load stamping (required some time after DBEAR1's gun was proofed, but discontinued in 1912; or the caliber designation (ie. 8mm/57) which was started in 1912. I've never been able to determine just when the Blachen load marking was 1st required, but the 8.2 is the only marking left unaccounted for and the month/year stamp WAS in fact required at the time that gun was proofed (@ the time the gauge standard was used) . Therefore I think it reasonable to believe that 8.2 means August 1902. Moreover, and until a gunsmith determines otherwise, the safe thing to do would be to consider it a J barrel.

da gimp---

It is undoubtly a 1898 model action, but is not a Military rifle that was converted. It is a commercial action made by Steyr. What is commonly called a 98K (proper model number is K98k, Karbiner 98 kutz or short) was the German WW11 standard military rifle. These were made from 1935 thru 1945 and none were ever marked with the name of a maker. They were marked with codes, numbers or letters and combinations. The closest were a few assembled by Obendorf in 1941 that had the Mauser banner on reciever ring. These were probably left over recievers from the late '30's for the Chinese contract or perhaps the jap contract or sporting rifles from even earlier. I have one that is matched and original---there is no other name or address on it. I have seen two others, both RC's and they are all in the hh block. And before the war the 'old gent' could never have gotten hold of a true K98k!, especially in Austria. There were only 2 or 3 firms making them at that time and they all went to the armed forces of Germany.
    Last edited by dave; 07-21-2012 at 02:56.

3. Default

Could I use 32 special bullets in this rifle?

How about some pics of this rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by GBEAR1 View Post
    Could I use 32 special bullets in this rifle?
    I believe that the 32 Special uses a .321 bullet. Woodleigh & Buffalo Bullet make .318 bullets for the J barrel . They're not exactly cheap but if you plan on loading jacketed bullets to standard European commercial specs they're what you want to use. European commercial spec'd 8mm tends to be substantially "hotter" than U.S. commercial production. In Europe the differance between J & S barrels is generally understood among shooters, which is not the case in the U.S. A result of that is that American commercial 8x57 ammo (ie. Remington) is generally loaded "down" (compared to European loads) due to concerns that the .323 ammo might be used in "J" (.318) barreled guns, such as the many civilian "Guild" type rifles brought back after WWII by returning GI's. Another option to consider is the use of cast bullets with the appropriate powder charge(s).

The problem of using S bullets in a J bore rifle (.323 vs. .318) is not bore diameter but the tight chamber throat, which will not allow the case to expand and release the bullet, thus causing hi-pressure. When rifles were converted they were NOT re-bored or re-barreled but the throat was relieved, that was it! I am talking here about the German military and conversions done in Germany. The difference in bullet dia. (5 thou.) was not dangerous.
    Last edited by dave; 07-23-2012 at 05:56.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    The problem of using S bullets in a J bore rifle (.323 vs. .318) is not bore diameter but the tight chamber throat, which will not allow the case to expand and release the bullet, thus causing hi-pressure. When rifles were converted they were NOT re-bored or re-barreled but the throat was relieved, that was it! I am talking here about the German military and conversions done in Germany. The difference in bullet dia. (5 thou.) was not dangerous.
    Which is what the Germans did to some of their M 1888 rifles and carbines. Those so modified had a big S stamped on the receiver ring. I had a S modified 1888 carbine which shot everything I put through it very well, including that "hot" Turk surplus. LOUD, and kicked like a mule, but it handled it.

Thanks dave, when we move that safe (soon I hope) I'll dig out that rifle & get all the markings...
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

Pictures would be nice too!!

Quote Originally Posted by da gimp View Post
    Thanks dave, when we move that safe (soon I hope) I'll dig out that rifle & get all the markings...
    I believe that a relatively small number of "recovered" WWI GEW 98 actions were "converted" to the 98k configuration, more or less. Those will still have the original maker's mark. I say "more or less" because not all 98k features may be present. Most commonly that shows up in the form of straight bolts. A friend of mine has one of those. My understanding is that some were converted as field prototypes for what would eventually become the common 98k, most as a war time expediency.