Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1903 Veracruz Sniper Replica

Sometimes its great when you can rescue a little bit of history. I found this Model 1903 Springfield at a local Pawn Shop/Gun store.

It started out like this.

And now looks like this.

It has been built as a recreation of a pre-WWI Sniper Rifle as used by the USMC in 1914 during the Veracruz, Mexico intervention and occupation. I couldn't bring myself to D&T the reciever, so the early USMC sniper with the rear base on the rear sight mount was the answer. The scope is a Leatherwood 3X scope that comes close in size and function to the original Winchester A5 scope that the Marines used.

Lucky for me I have a gunsmith/machinist/mechanical engineer here in Tennessee who enjoys these type of builds.

While doing the D&T, my gunsmith found that both of the chicom made rings had mis-aligned cuts in the slots for the bases. one was angle off to the right, the other to the left, and they weren't centered to the ring to begin with. Steve Earl had already made new bases for me to mount the rear on the sight base, so we knew those were straight and true. My gunsmith/machinist/machanical engineer recut the rings and then made shims to fit them to the Earl made bases.

He also replaced all of the soft chicom made screws. The scope has been rock-solid now after hundreds of rounds.

I reckon the point is that it appears that all models of these Leatherwood scopes seem to have a common theme - - - Good Glass, Good Tubes...., Poor Supporting Hardware.

The repo stock came from Dupage. Took ALOT of work to make it fit. NOT a drop in at all.

I want to thank "Marine A5 Sniper" who first told me about the use of these sniper rifles by his beloved Corps in Veracruz. This information and his answers to my questions, provided me the inspiration for the replica.
    Last edited by DMark; 07-12-2012 at 06:34.
    D. Mark
    Gentleman Farmer, U.S. Army - Ret.

Default early sniper

I took a well used 500 thousand SA receiver with a really bad bore and had a 22 rf liner installed with an extended breech to fit the M2 bolt. Scope is an old Lyman 438 that I
    installed, quite accurate in 22 rim fire. I have since re-worked the WW2 handguard to look older.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Default

Good jobs, guys. By the way, G.Mark, I guess I should have told you how to cut the handguard! She looks great, but how does she shoot?

jt

Quote Originally Posted by Marine A5 Sniper View Post
    Good jobs, guys. By the way, G.Mark, I guess I should have told you how to cut the handguard! She looks great, but how does she shoot? jt
    I think you told me that the handguards were cut by hand.

And it shoots very well.

330 yards, 16 shots.

D. Mark

5. Default

Wow! Good shooting!

jt

Well...., I was using Hornady Match.

Jim, what should I have done different with the HG? I just handshaped it using a rasp.
    D. Mark

Congrats guys! You both have 'done good'.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

8. Default

A very nice use of some otherwise underutilized/wasted "raw material"! Both serve as functional and historical objects now - and are more valuable, just for that. Thanks for sharing - I may look at a low number or other orphan in a different way now! CC
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

Col. Colt,

I'm always on the lookout for "raw material."

Here is my next rescue. Poor thing has more holes in it than a politician's promises.

If you are wondering why I picked up this rifle...., well the answer was right on the "tip" of the barrel.

I'm still waiting on Leatherwood USMC scope to be de-bugged before starting on this project.

Regards,

Colonel D. Mark
    D. Mark

might check CMP & SRS records to see if this just might hit.. as an NRA sporter. looks like it mighta had a Lyman rear peep.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter