Default M7 bayonet usage

How long was the M7 bayonet issued? Was it used with the M16A2 rifle?
    regards,
    Chief

Default M7 Bayonets

Chief-I believe they first started issue in 1961-62 time frame, in the earlier versions. My unit turned ours in for M9's in 1989. I would not be surprised to still see them issued. Have yet to hear any praise from troops about the M9. SKIP

lonewoolf Guest

The M7 was used on AR-15 and M16 series rifles

Thanks guys. I suppose a better question would have been when was the M9 issued, but Skip took care of that. I know the USMC replaced the M9 with their new blade but does the Army still issue the M9?
    regards,
    Chief

Default M7 Bayonets

Chief-I believe a lot of army units were getting M9's in 1987. In fact I think the 75th Rangers & 82nd ABN were early recipients. We got ours in 89'. My unit got the M16A2 late 87' or early 88' as I recall. M7's definitely fit on M16A2's. I also think the USMC replacement is better than the M9. SKIP

Skip,
    Thanks for pinning that down for me. Do you know if there was an M8 bayonet? In other words why the jump from M7 to M9 types? Something experimental? A prototype maybe? What is, in your opinion, the major cause of dislike of the M9?
    regards,
    Chief

Default M7 Bayonets

Chief-Good questions. To my knowledge there was no M8 bayonet.I have seen photos of converted MK2 knives adapted w/ an M7 guard and pommel. Don't really know if they were actual prototypes or fantasy items. But I always thought it was a good concept. As far as the M9. In my opinion, it was heavy, awkward, and noisy. I didn't trust the scabbard system not to fall off at the clips.Plus as a jumpmaster it would not attach well to your leg. With the saw teeth on the top of the blade you could be hard pressed to extract it from a bad guy. Just my opinion, nothing more. I'm sure there are a lot of folks w/ extensive experience w/ the M9 would have better and more positive input. SKIP