Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Mr. Krupp,

Thanks for the advice. I got the Stick'um I ordered. Turned out to be the "Firm Grip" type. It definitely gave some grip, but it only lasted for a short time...had to re-apply often. Anyway, it was instructive in that it showed how much grip had been lost with my worn out rubber, and also what a compromise it is trying to fix the situation with Stick'um. I contacted Champion Shooters Supply about purchasing replacement rubber and was informed that they could supply the rubber and perform the transplant as well. I sent my coat back, got it back a few weeks later. All this just weeks before Perry. No nicer people to deal with and extremely reasonable for the work performed. What a difference.

what did they charge you to re-pad your coat? i left mine with them one year after perry and i had to end up calling them to get it back...

they never charged me (even though they had the coat from august until march) but i ended up getting a brand new coat from them. i think they might have put mine in the 'sell used for cheap' pile or it got lost someplace. i was hoping it would have had the new gravel stuff on it but it was the old crosshatch pattern which is now getting slick (again)...

will definitely be getting after it this winter!

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ltdave View Post
    what did they charge you to re-pad your coat?
    It cost $50 and shipping. A super deal especially considering it requires partial disassembly of the coat. The gravel style rubber is very aggressive.
    Last edited by Pagoda; 08-18-2012 at 12:24.

Can't you buy "FIRM GRIP" anymore? left lovely black plotches all over your rlfle, coat, fingers, glove, mat....
    I still have it on some of my rifles... Came in tubs and aerosol and was sold in ordinary sporting goods stores. Sometimes - well, USUALLY - after it built-up, it set up hard like slick asphalt, does more harm than good; other times I have seen it crystallize and disintegrate as rosin powder which kind of helps.

Everybody used it in the 60's and 70's especially the military teams. Started going out in the 80's.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 08-26-2012 at 05:30.

"Can't you buy "FIRM GRIP" anymore? left lovely black plotches all over your rlfle, coat, fingers, glove, mat..."

I dunno about Firm Grip. I used Hawkeye position-in-a-can and Hawkeye is long gone.

Still have Hawkeye/M1A butt tracks all over my antique Freeland shooting mat. Had to repair the rubber on the mat because my right elbow stuck so hard it ripped the rubber off the mat.

Bought a can of stick-um from Champion Shooters and it did not seem not near as sticky as Hawkeye.

I worked in rubber R&D and manufacturing for 30 yrs. Most types of rubber will surface harden over time due to the effects of UV light, oxygen and ozone. As it hardens, the coefficient of friction will go down. This is an irreversible chemical reaction.

If you sanded an aged pad you could get a fresh surface but lose the molded-in texture in the process.

Getting the coat retreaded with fresh rubber is the best option.

Regards

Jim

6. Default

Firm Grip is still around http://www.championshooters.com/store/home.php?cat=287

Hawkeye morphed into CenterHold Shooter's Adhesive but I can't find it in any of the usual suspects' catalogs anymore. The 3M 77 sprays are reported to be suitable substitutes.

Maury

I'll never forget one year at Blue Trail Range in Wallingford, CT., in the spring.

The surrounding buttonball trees were doing their thing, and all the guys that had their equipment (jackets) coated with that sticky crap looked like a bunch of sniper wannabees in their Gilley Suits! --Jim