Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Restoring the "grip" to shooting coat shoulder and elbow patches

Hoping somebody has some tips to save my shooting coat. I have a Freeland Cordura NRA shooting coat that's around 8 yrs old (wow, time flies!). The grey rubber patches have been polished, or developed a glaze that's created a real problem keeping the rifle butt in place, or keeping my right elbow from moving in rapid fire. It's funny how this problem has been creeping up on me over the last couple of years without me realizing it, affecting my position and the way I sling up, in an effort to compensate for it. The days of watching the front sight come up and right back in rapid are a distant memory. Can it be saved or is it time for a new coat?

I haven't tried this with the patches on my shooting coat, but I do know that cleaning worn golf club grips with rubbing alcohol will restore their tackiness.

Good old shooter's stick'um was invented just for this! The "usual suspects" (Champion's Choice, Champion Shooter's Supply, Sinclair's) sell it all the time!

4. Default

Shooter,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the rubbing alcohol, scrubbing with a toothbrush. Definitely cleaned the area, but still no comparison in grip between the worn and un-worn areas. Appreciate the help.

5. Default

Mr. Kepler,
    Looking up and down the line and seeing coats older than myself, I knew there had to be some product out there that would do the job. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

champion shooter supply (freeland) and champions choice both sell replacement rubber for their jackets...

the css is the new gravel texture vs the old cross-hatch pattern which should not get glossy and smooth for a long time...
    the cc type is the black pebble kind that is found on their coats. it is a softer more flexible material but it holds very well...

i have some of the new gray gravel (CSS) for my jacket for this fall. i will cut it about the same size, contact cement them together and then have a gal i know with an industrial sewing machine, sew the edges together so they wont start to peel apart...

ive used the position in a can this year for sitting because my shooting hand elbow just slips and slides on my jeans, fatigues, bdus work pants and bare skin (wearing shorts of course!)

7. Default

My son glues in, it really helps him. Even shooting an AR, since he only weighs 120 lbs. at 5'10", he gets moved around in rapid fire. And in slow fire with glue, he can stay in position and maintain his NPA. He glues both elbows and his shoulder. Get a can of cleaner, too, the glue can make a pretty good mess.

8. Default

In my experience, the junk sold as cleaner isn't worth the scrap value of the can it comes in

Get some Goo-Gone or Goo-Gone Gel. Put a generous amount on a rag or cotton pad, let it soak on the glue for a couple hours, then just wipe everything off. No rubbing, no scrubbing. Eazy-peazy

Maury

9. Default

Thanks to everyone for the input. I've ordered a can of Stick'um. Can't wait to get it . It's really pointless to shoot with the coat in it's current state. Maybe I'll see if I can get my old canvas coat back from my son and give it a try. I'm also going to see if I can find someone, locally, to replace the pads with new material from CCS, and what it would cost. At this point I'm wondering whether the use of Stick'um can be viewed as a long term solution or am I just postponing the inevitable.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Pagoda View Post
    ...I'm wondering whether the use of Stick'um can be viewed as a long term solution...
    I would say no

There are issues with the glue that you don't have with good rubber:

-Sticking to places or things you don't want stuck
    -Build up and removal (it works best with a slight build-up but not too much)
    -Getting it in or on places you don't want it (face, eyes, hair, other gear, etc)
    -Sticking too well (so your mat comes with you when you stand or you can't get the rifle out of your shoulder to reload)
    -Tearing the pads off your coat

Glue would just be a band-aid. The pads on your coat should do the job but they're worn out. Replace them and fix your real problem.

Just in case you didn't know there are two types of stick'um:

-"Firm Grip" a rosin-like spray or powder similar to what bowlers or baseball pitchers use - more of a non-slip or skid than sticky - until it builds up or gets wet - then it's a mess

-"Shooter's Adhesive" or "Hawkeye" a rubber cement-like spray that never dries - similar to 3M 777 but not as permanent

Maury