Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Took The Mark 4 T Out For 600 Yard Practice Today

I had a chance to put up a target at 600 yards and was humbled. Never more evident how important how important a spotter is. I have a # 1 scope with 1 click to 2 inches of windage and 1 click for 50 meters of elevation. I spotted my shots but first tried to dial correction then ended up holding off. This scope is meant to be removed when in transit and must be removed to pull the bolt. The scope holds a close 0 but seems to change slightly when replaced. If one click is 2 inches at 100 yards at 600 yards it is 12 inches. These scopes are difficult to calibrate initial 0. Adjusting is done with a small hand tool specially made for the job. The shooting was fun , the scoring not so good. I learned today about case life for this carteidge so had some errant shots because of pressure loss. Nevertheless it was fun to try longer range.
    HPIM0965..jpgHPIM0967..jpgHPIM0723..jpg

Had the same humbling experience with my 1903A4 with a M-84 scope at 500yds. Could not hit the steel humanoid! Jeez, I need to shoot more!

Ed

Actualy you don't need to remove the scope to remove the bolt if you have the mod that armourers did to the rear sight. Note the concave section on the rear sight when it is in the upright condition. Armourers ground the same profile on the sight base when in the down position.

4. Default Not All T's

My scope has not been so modified. Thought about doing it but haven't put file to metal yet. Looking for transit case and scope can so I can clean it and then put it away. Anyone who has one lying around could donate to my project. thanks for the look.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Entry Level View Post
    My scope has not been so modified. Thought about doing it but haven't put file to metal yet. Looking for transit case and scope can so I can clean it and then put it away. Anyone who has one lying around could donate to my project. thanks for the look.
    Here is an update with further thoughts. The sight mod. means taking metal off the bottom side of the entire vernier sight. This means taking metal off the elevator portion of the sight also unless it is in about the midway position in the sight. Even then the bolt head is difficult to move to the action position. The scope body is very close to the receiver. I now appreciate the pull through cleaner and oil stored in the butt. When necessary to clean the rifle in the field this works fine and the zero isn't in question when done. More complete cleaning could have been done when the weapon was packed for shipping. I now can use a bore snake that I retired from service and save the tools in the stock. Thanks for looking.

My original BSA T has the rear sight mod done to it and the bolt comes right out. Have to hinge up the rear sight leaf a bit, but it comes right out. The vernier slide wasn't touched . Try hinging the rear leaf up while simultaneously pulling the bolt.

Nice rifle you have there.

Wild guess here but you havent read Pete Laidlers books on the #4T have you? Your rifle looks very nice and you should have the books or check them out and read them.

Cheers

"Own only what you can carry with you; know language, know countries,
    know people. Let your memory be your travel bag."

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

8. Default

Thanks for the reply, just wonder how far the slide is from the lowest position? Once the bolt clears the sight base the slide is still blocking the bolt head. There is very little clearance between the sight and scope base. I moved the slide to midway on it's track to make the modification work. It is easier to remove the bolt than to replace it. Lifting the bolt head works but when the bolt is inserted a small wire hook is needed to pull the bolt head down to get it into firing position. I am now wondering why someone would take the scope off since I haven't seen cleaning rods for the Enfield. Maybe this made it easier to repair a malfunction? I guess it doesn't matter since I have the opportunity to find my target after cleaning without anyone shooting back. Regardless it is a hoot to take it to the range and to shoot Military Benchrest once a month. thanks

The answer to your question are covered in these. Please don't take a rusty file to this fine old rifle before reading them.

Cheers
    "Own only what you can carry with you; know language, know countries,
    know people. Let your memory be your travel bag."

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

10. Default

If you could give me a page number I'd appreciate it since I haven't had any luck . Thanks