Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Pelago, maybe I'm wrong,but I wuld attach no value to it being cited in a book sans vvg paperwork attributing it to a noted German soldier.

Also, nearly all German WWII manufacturers started at serial #1 thru 9999, then started all over again with an A suffix, repeated with B & so on. We had a cherry 1916 DWM P08, that was 3 digit with an A suffix, but understood their serial #'ing.

Walther on their PP's & PPK models didn't repeat the series, started PP serial #'s at 750,000 then ran a little past 1,000,000 then started again at serial # 100,000 to end of WWII production, but the P38 did 1-9999 etc
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

200 dollars??? You got a excellent buy! "You don't need no stinkin provenence!"

i thought so, bore is bright and shiney, and all serial numbers match (must have driven the germans bat **** to serialize everything but the screws)

the erfurt mauser is on top
    another nice one is one that someone sportered up the stock 2nd from bottom, metal is pristine and bore looks unfired, probably not, but looks that way, too bad the stock got gorped up by some hunter, and i think this is a bring back, no import marks of any kind and is in great shape and is a shooter
    Last edited by pelago; 04-21-2012 at 03:41.

dern nice & ya done great too.Always buy the gun & not the story & this you did & well too.
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

probably could take the 2nd from bottom and put it back into military dress, with right stock and so forth, i beleive that this was a bring back, dont know how many came back but heard it was not uncommon for GI's to bring back souvenirs, hell i did

most "souveniers"were bought cheap after WWII when the market was flooded with great weapons & the story changed from when Dad/Grandpa fought, it was against ones like this one, to being this is the one dad/grandpa brought back. But a bunch were also brought back, if you can find a nice stock set, buy it...... if it's not reblued...
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

i dont think it was reblued, it is a 1939 98, metal is superb, and is quite even can see a trace of outline where the old stock covered metal, someone took the stock and cut if off and did a circa 1955 sporter job on it, no holes for scope mounts though , and even some of the serial numbers match, trigger guard and cover are the same as rifle, bolt is also same, if i am patient and do it right can probably come up with a good stock, or maybe buy a screwed up 98 metal wise and convert it to a hunter for grandsons and swap out. as far as 98's go this one would be a keeper, and i have several grandchildren left to build rifles for, but it is a shooter now, holds sub minute on rest at 100, with std 8 mm ammo,

too bad the stock was cut down because it is a handsome piece of wood

8. Default

Having a weapon that is pictured in a reference book is always nice, but unless the weapon had provenance prior to it being in the book it still has no provenance. The private collector apparently didn't place much value on the weapon and must have sold it rather cheaply.

you are probably correct, just kinda funny/neat that reading about a particular type of rifle and lo and behold you see the serial number of a rifle you bought five years earlier...
    maybe provenance was and is the wrong word
    anyway was and is kinda cool and a nice rifle since i paid next to nothing for it, that same day i bought a semi converted K98 ad KAR98a and a M1 carbine all for less than 450.00 us dollars
    all from same guy. other than they were sitting on ablanket covered table and were cheap, that is all i know, could have been estate deal, whatever

sounds like ya did great, as long as you got a driver's license verified bill of sale.............with models & serial #'s on it for each.......
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter