Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question 1903 sniper handguard modification.

Can you point me to someone that does the handguard modification for 1903-a1 snipers? I am a lot of things, but a skilled wood worker isnt one of them! I figure there has to be someone in the community that does them...

Thanks,

Brazos

chuckindenver might be the one to get a hold of, he posts on the 03 form just below this one.

Brazos, I have profiled a couple of handguards....I am trying to figure out the dimensions....Some of the photo's of original handguards I have seen on line don't look appealing to me...Another point, they would have to be custom made, because not everyone is going to have the scope mounts installed in the same location...Even though I requested my gunsmith to install the blocks at 7.250 on center, it didn't happen....It is a work in progress...So far I have wrecked 3 hand guards....

4. Default

I can do the hole for the block. Its the larger, flat cut on the handguard that I am not comfortable cutting.

There are two profiles: 1903a1 USMC is flat at the front slopeing up to an end about an inch in front ofthe rear sight, and 1903a5 that is more of a dished cut fore and aft of the barrel block.

FWIW i believe the original specs called for the large flat on the top of the hand guard to be milled with a three inch (3") diameter cutter. This provides the flat and the appropriate radius at the end of the cut.

Regards,
    JIm

Brazos, The one inch dimension is what I made...I have only one sanding drum that gives an acceptable radius...For appearance sake, I figured out the flat surface has to stop about 1/8 " behind the barrel band....I hope that it will look decent...I have not installed the handguard as yet, so I don't know the final answer...The wood it self is NOS, and is extremely dry...It will probably spilt out when you mortise it ....I am waiting on my mortising bit...If you want, I can send my latest creation, and a bitched up one to practice on....Just PM me for the details...It will have to be a USPS M.O....My only claim to fame is I am a good wood butcher....

7. Default

I'm planning on using a band saw to cut the flat and I'm using the Senich book pictures as a guide to follow. I'll finish it with a sanding drum on a drill press. To cut the mortice for the mounting block, I'm going to drill a hole at that location and use a coping saw to cut it out square to fit the block. Senich has a couple of pictures of modified handguards in his book, one shows the work done with considerable craftsmanship and the other is pretty rough. I guess back in the day, the quality of the job depended on who was doing it. Some of the guys did nice looking jobs and other guys made it work.

Quote Originally Posted by jgaynor View Post
    FWIW i believe the original specs called for the large flat on the top of the hand guard to be milled with a three inch (3") diameter cutter. This provides the flat and the appropriate radius at the end of the cut.

Regards,
    JIm
    Perfect! That is the kind of info I needed. I'm thinking a sanding drum on a drill press is the way to go. Unless someone close to me owns a drum sander with a fence.
    Cutting the hole should be easier if done after the top of the handguard has been flattened.

9. Default

Somebody get this down so I can pay you to do mine!

10. Default

Such a nice one.Good to know about it.Thanks for sharing.