Default what market did the belgian mauser barrels in 3006 serve

i have a 98 barrel in 3006, from belgium?

i know brazil was chambered for 06, but what market used the 98's in 06??

i took a 98 russian capture with total shot out barrel and replaced it with similar outside appearance 98, but shiney bright bore inside and 1" 100 yard groups

to look at it can not tell, but closer exam can see the belgian crest on side and no nazi marks on barrel for 43 BCC mauser

also, i have many k98's with laminated stocks, what glue did the germans use, it must be something, some of these went thru stalingrad, leningrad, russsian winters and still stay together, got to be tough stuff
    Last edited by pelago; 02-16-2012 at 03:00.

Ira,

Also Colombia. Great fun to shoot.

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    Resp'y,
    Bob S.

USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

That's a good question Pelago. What was FN's target market for their Model1924/30 rifle in the post WWII military and, moreover, why didn't they know that the day of the military bolt gun come to an end in 1945? The Belgian army made some limited use of the 1924/30 for awhile and there's obviously the Brazilian contract. But why would either nation bother when they were awash in U.S. military weapons? Additionally the world was awash in slightly used bolt action rifles of all sorts which could be had for next to nothing. It's not like there was a storage of guns! I can see where it may have been a "make work" project for the Belgian economy, but why would the Brazilians want it? Maybe old horse generals still in power? Of course FN wasn't alone, Denmark's Madsen Co. went and designed a completely new design of bolt gun (Model 47) in 30.06 which was ergonomically designed for smaller bodied persons to use (ie. South American natives). The only country that bought any was Columbia. I imagine that Madsen lost its' shirt on that venture. I can understand the use of the 30.06 round, what with the U.S. coming out of the war as the big kid on the block and a likely supplier of free/cheap ammo to their WWII allies for decades to come.

I believe the Norwegian Army was,post WW2,equiped with German K98k rifles that had been rebarreled to .30-06.I don't know if there was any large importation of these or what the markings would be if any.

history of any particular rifle is hard to come by, this one is a bcd armory 1943 so it is wwii production, no import marks on barrel or receiver so it is not a import rifle, (or is a import and someone re barreled it) i got it from local dealer at good price, mismatched numbers, but that happens a lot with wwii 98's
    this just has the belgian crest with some nuimbers on left side of barrel right above receiver and of course the receiver has the usual nazi marks and inspection stamps

i have one model 98 from WWI that is a particularly interesting one it is erfurt 1915, and is actually listed by serial number as being in a private collection, i got it at a gun show years and years ago for 150.00 blue book due to rarity of this type of 98
    (it is actually a KAR 98r) wilth the particular GERMANIC script style in the writing, it also has a stacking device and damn if the front sight isn't like in five pieces, lot of machine work in this rifle. blue book has it in the condition it is in for 2500.00

mausers are beautiful machined weapons.

guess i will just have to shoot this critter, got boxes and boxes of (probably five k) of 3006, greek, lake city, korean, all of it good stuff, and all non corrosive
    Last edited by pelago; 02-17-2012 at 02:42.

I understand you re-barreled yours? but some K98 were rebarreled by the Germans using FN barrels. They used bolt action military rifle after WW11 for the simple reason that they were set up to produce them, and semi-autos of all types were really on the drawing boards and one had not been adopted yet.

What is a Kar 98r ??? If you meant Kar. 98a then they are far from rare and 1915 Erfurt is one of the years of high production.

K98k's were imported by the boat load before 1968 and import marking. "Glue" used was an epoxy resin and is water proof. One of the first epoxy resins in use, I think! The FN 1924 has the intermediate length action, the 1930 has standard length.

98a then they are far from rare and 1915 Erfurt

but the one i have is actually listed int he mauser book as being in private collection, by serial number
    it is a a, i mis typed not a little r
    i just had the barrel and the barrel on it was about as bad as it can get, dark and piited,, got a bunch of 98's
    i can not tell date on the barrel i put on, but has the crest from belgium
    although i do have some 30- cal barrels in 06 and 308

Springfield Sporters sold a lot of new 98 style 06 barrrels about 25 years ago. They sold for $8.00 each. I bought many and still have one new in the grease. I believe they were for the Dutch mausers.