Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    Some say that sticking a .311/.312 bullet into an 06' case in the 1909 conversion isn't safe
    I could see that, if the chamber neck is tight and you're using military brass. I used commercial brass in the Arisaka with no problems.
    If the round with the .311/.312 bullet chambers easily, I would say no problem. If you have to force the round into the chamber, then I would not fire those rounds.

No serious. If the headspace is good and the barrel is good then I would take a cast of the chamber to make sure it has a large enough neck to reload for it. A 7.65X06 would be a good cartridge. All you need to do to a 30-06 sizer die is change the expander ball and load it with a .310-.311 or .312 slug and as they say "twang away frogie". A 7.65 Arg. is a dam fine hunting cartridge and this 7.65X06 would be even better using the new Barns 150 gr. tripple shock slugs. Just my opinion mind you and probably unwanted at that.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

3. Default

Got to the range today and shot some of my recent acquisitions, including the 31.06 Argy. I was shooting factory Federal 150 and 180 Power Shok's. Rifle seemed to like both of them. But it was printing them high. I shot these 4 shot groups at 50 yards (they look like about 3 MOA). The hits were very high..I had to take a 6 o'clock hold on the small bottom target and hit the upper target. At 100 yards the rounds were going right over the target backer..

150 grain Federal PS's @ 50 yards:

180 grain PS's @ 50 yards

Better than I expected, shooting .308 bullets thru a 7.65 barrel.

I've always had trouble with the Mauser inverted triangular sights, so not sure how much of the group dispersion I can blame on the sights.

needs a tall front sight that you can work down to a 100 yard setting. Gun Parts used to sell them but I dont know anymore.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

Quote Originally Posted by BudT View Post
    needs a tall front sight that you can work down to a 100 yard setting. Gun Parts used to sell them but I dont know anymore.
    Brownell's is offering two models of "taller" replacement front sights. One is advertized for the Swed, but is supposedly adaptable to 98K's , ect. ($15). And then there is a VERY utilitarian looking product that's available in two height offerings @ $9 ea. Both designs are "file to fit" @ your desired range.

I'm glad that standard .30-06 worked in your rifle.

At this point, you may want to salvage that beautiful, German made, Argentine M1909 receiver and build a custom hunting rifle in the chambering of your choice. Restore it or build a new rifle with the existing receiver--either way it's going to be a money pit.

Spotted a similar one in a gun store today, also in 30-06. Asking price was $300. Good price? All the serial numbers matched. Is the receiver stainless?
    Spam Sniper- one click, one kill.

CSP is what you make it.

A picture of your gun is worth 1,000 words. A crappy picture is only worth 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
    Spotted a similar one in a gun store today, also in 30-06. Asking price was $300. Good price? All the serial numbers matched. Is the receiver stainless?
    The receiver is just unblued polished carbon steel.
    If it's bubba'd, for $300 it would make a great basis for a sporter if you do the work yourself. The 1909 Argentine action is possibly the finest Mauser action ever made. Heck, the 1909 Argentine floorplate/triggerguard assemblies alone sell for almost half that.
    If the barrel/sights haven't been messed with and you could find a nice stock and restore it to it's original configuration, even better, IMHO.

Liberty Tree Collectors has some 1909 Argentine parts, including stocks:

https://www.libertytreecollectors.co...?idCategory=39
    Last edited by spanner1751; 02-18-2012 at 05:58.