Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

With the 3 german marks on right side (how do you know the are german) sounds like it may be a K98k but the right side marks "looks like 2 mountains" throws me. we need a full length pic, not clear or not, at least we could narrow it down to which model. K98k's are distinctive looking.

The three "German Marks" sound right if they are eagles with wings outspread holdong a swastika. The mountain like stampings sound like Weimar republic proofs. Many pre ww2 K98k's were assembled during the governmental changeover to the Nazis so some will have both Nazi and Weimar republic markings. It would be nice to see decent photos.

3. Default picture

I took one full length picture, I will try to get some of the emblems as soon as possible. Its difficult to get around glare
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Default more pics

hopefully these can help solve the mystery a little bit

5. Default

more

Well, shotgun

WHatever you have, it's dated 1937 is a K-98 configuration, but it's been sporterized. With that date it should have the Nazi s**tbird on it. What it has looks more like an imperial eagle. Austria? I would post it in the mauser forum. There are some very knowledgeable people who post in the "Milsurps" mauser forum who could help you also.

If it's prewar and the barrel is good, it will be an excellent shooter or N. American big game rifle. Depending on its origin it may be worth restoring.

Good luck!

jn

It appears you rifle is S 243 marked and that would make it manufactured by Mauser AG Borsigwalde.

Here are several sites that will help decipher the codes on your rifle:

http://home.scarlet.be/p.colmant/k98kmarkings.htm

http://mauser98k.internetdsl.pl/kodyen.html

If you can borrow or buy BACKBONE OF THE WEIRMACHT, it will be a big help in explaining the markings.

San Clemente, Ca Within earshot of the sound of freedom from Camp Pendleton

"it's dated 1937 is a K-98 configuration, but it's been sporterized."
    It does indeed look to have been sporterized. This is unfortunate as far as value is concerned. An original, matching, military rifle is worth much more than one that has been sporterized. Unforunately fifty years ago, military rifles were more plentiful and were altered to make inexpensive hunting rifles.
    Dean (the other one)
    OFC-Orange Co. Ca Chapter

It may have been mildly sporterized, but fortunately not drilled/tapped. It looks as if only the front part of the stock has been chopped off. If you care enough to restore it to it's original configuration, do some research and get a proper stock with barrel bands. The stock and hardware may cost several hundred dollars, but it would be worth it to me.

Here are some pictures of another 1937 243.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....3-1937-F-block

I found more info on the Borsigwalde K98k rifles for you.

http://www.ycgg.org/pdfpages/ww2/mauser-borsigwalde.pdf

BTW, a few years ago, I bought and restored a sporterized bring-back "ar 44" rifle that had the stock replaced with a sporter stock, but no drilling/tapping. I had a decent replacement stock, but the stamped bands were difficult to find. It's a shame that people just threw away the stocks and barrel bands back then, but that's why they're worth so much now. In original condition, the rifle would have been worth $1,000 or so.
    Last edited by spanner1751; 01-19-2012 at 10:57.