Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Mod. 98 numbers matching

I was recently helping my grandfather clean out his basement and attic and came across an old model 98 rifle. I know nothing about these guns but after knocking the dust off of it I realized the serial numbers are all matching 7120. Also I'm various locations on the gun there are small markings stamped into the metal. If someone could tell me more about this gun and what it could possibly be worth I would appreciate it thank you

leftyo Guest

your going to have to tell us a whole lot more about the rifle before anyone can give you good info on what you have.

If it is a K98k, that is WW2 German issue, they are in high demand in all matching, unsanded wood condition. Is the bolt handle bent down or straight? Is the action in the white or blued? Is the receiver ring marked with a number or letter code(denoting manufacturer)? Or does the action have a crest on it(maybe South American or Czech or Polish). Like leftyo said more info is needed as the 98 Mauser was used by over 50 countries in the last century and there are many variants, some much more valuable than others. Regardless of it's origin, the all matching serials are great and add a premium(sometimes a large one) to it's value.

You would almost need a picture of overall veiw and of markings or a detail list of markings and location. Is it military or a sporter? The more info and detail the better the answer!

5. Default

The metal on the gun is worn down but there are 3 distinct German emblems on one side all 3 side by side with numbers or letters below each but I cannot make them out and on the opposite side thereis a different emblem almost looks like 2 mountains side by side. The wood is all in original shape never sanded or lacquered. Worn down in areas where a soldier would hold as in firing position. The bolt is bent downand as for everything else I am by no means a gun expert and would need a professional to look at it and tell me what it all means. Every part of this gun is numbered I'm just not educated enough to comprehend what the significance of the numbers are

I'm just not educated enough to comprehend what the significance of the numbers are
    Neither is anybody else on this forum unless they can see the markings and number... Have you ever consider posting a picture?

7. Default

I have but it's not clear enough to make out in a picture. I took a couple just not clear enough to help

Even a full length picture would give everyone a place to start from.

Hi ShotguSavy and welcome to the board.

Photos of markings are sometimes hard to do with the equipment we have on hand. You'll need to play with light and distance and camera settings etc. If you're using a phone camera...forget it. You'll only end up doing this:

Try highlighting the marks by rubbing them with something such as white chalk or a white china marker and see what happens. That often helps.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

San Clemente, Ca Within earshot of the sound of freedom from Camp Pendleton

Depending on the year and arsenal, Mausers are usually well marked. Look on the left side of the receiver rail. is there an arsenal or model number? Look on top of the receiver. Is there a crest, or letters or numbers? You knew to check for matching numbers, so these other litle details will give us a clue
    Otherwise it's "I found an old car in the garage. What is it and how much is it worth?" :>)
    Dean (the other one)
    OFC-Orange Co. Ca Chapter