Default carbine comparison

Took a nice No5 Jungle carbine and an M38 Mosen to the range yesterday. Wanted to really punish the shoulder! A recoil comparison subjectively was that the jungle carbine's rubber butt plate was more cosmetic than real aid, and for my money it was more recoil than the Russian by a small margin. That flash hider did make a difference though. The M38 really burped white flame. I used surplus ammo for both. both shot about 2 to 3 inch groups at 100 yards with a flyer or two, but that's the individual rifles, not relevant to compare the breeds on accuracy. A fun day overall, but about 20 rounds from either was plenty.

Respects to all and Merry Christmas as well.
    Contempt of congress, 350 million co-defendents

The No.5 was NOT designed for "Jungle Fighting", but for Airborne troops. That flat hockey puck butt-plate isn't intended to do one damn thing to help the shooter, but rather to avoid punching holes in the tender decks of transport aircraft and especially gliders.

And while interesting, your post really doesn't belong in a forum dedicated to competition shooting, since neither firearm is much more than a bullet hose!

Humble appoligies, Seemed like an interestng range topic!

Quote Originally Posted by 2flasargent View Post
    Humble appoligies, Seemed like an interestng range topic!
    Oh it is.....but it'll do a LOT better over on Gun Talk, which is also more where it belongs! But I DO have a question for you....what's an "M38"? The M44 I know and have several of, the Bulgarian M59 I know and have one, the M30 I know and have a bunch of, the M1891 I know and have a crap-load of, including a Remington and a Westinghouse, an M39 I know and have a couple of beauties (including a 1971 Sako!)....but no M38.
    Last edited by John Kepler; 12-22-2011 at 06:02.

That's what I identified my carbine as per other websites but may be off in nomenclature . It is about identical to an M44, but w/o ever having provision for a bayonet. I understood they were Cossack issue, who of course carried a Shaska sword instead.
    http://russian-mosin-nagant.com/russian3.html
    ~2/3 the way down.
    Respects

The "91/59" or M59 is a bit lower down, and what I'm more familiar with. As far as "functionality", it's a distinction without any difference.....more damn noise and flash than anything not crew-served and on tracks!