Thread: Need Help to salvage a M3

Threaded View

Default Need Help to salvage a M3

Gentlemen. I have just returned from the December meeting of the New Zealand Antique & Historical Arms Association. (Wellington branch).
    Whilst I was there another member turned up with a cardboard box of bit and pieces, saying that he was having a clear out. Like bees to honey we flocked around him. Most were interested in the rifle parts but it was the sad looking knife on the bottom of the box that made my heart jump. I reached in and pulled out what I immediately recognised as being an M3. Some clown had painted the M8 scabbard black. A missing leather washer had been replaced by a tied in strip of rag and the washers that remained felt a little loose. One side of the cross guard had been bent up towards the handle and then painted silver. The pommel has also been painted silver and no markings were obvious. With trepidation I pulled the blade from the scabbard. The beat up slightly rusty and stained blade appeared full length and well used. However it bore the legend U.S. M KINFOLKS,INC.
    I couldn’t see the 3 that should have followed the M but I had no time to puzzle about it. I had to strike before another member recognised what I had. I asked the owner how much and he said NZ$20.00. Needless to say I did not haggle. The meeting continued and I have only just got it home and had a good chance to look at it.
    I can’t be 100% sure but I think I know why the 3 in M3 is missing. Looks like the blade snapped at one time and has been welded, rather well I think, back together. The break went through where the 3 should have been.
    Regardless of the possible broken blade I am thrilled with my $20.00 (U.S$16.00) purchase. I think I got a real bargain. It is now my intention to restore this old warrior to some of its former glory. Cleaning up the blade should be no real problem. The rust appears to be just surface rust. Compared to my Case M3 the blade is just a 1/8 of an inch shorter. Could be correct or just ware. Nothing I can do about that.
    I would appreciate advice on the best way to straighten the cross guard without fear of breaking it.
    I don’t want to remove the pommel but how can I replace the space where the missing washer was?
    There is no doubt in my mind that the black paint on the scabbard is not GI. Is there away to remove it and not damage the canvas/plastic beneath?
    Any advice will be much appreciated. This knife deserves some TLC.
    Barry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Barryeye; 12-03-2011 at 09:10. Reason: spelling