Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Eye relief for 1903 A4 w/ Weaver K2.5?

I am wondering how the eye relief is on a A4 clone with a Weaver K2.5. I know the head position can be awkward with the original scopes and was just wondering of it is better with the K2.5.

In other words, can you get a good comfortable position in prone or do you have to hold your head back on the stock to see through the scope?

Thanks in advance,
    dcat

2. Default

The scope sucks in my opinion. I am impressed with all that was done with that combination, but to me it was like putting a Yugo hood ornament on a Cadillac.

jt

Jim
    What is a YUGO,Isn't that a Chocolate drink Yogie Berra used to sell?
    Ed

4. Default

Thanks for the replies. To clarify what I meant, I am asking about the 1" postwar commercial Weaver K Series with a 2.5X power because I am considering building a clone for the Vintage Sniper Matches. Having a 1903 A4 clone in 30-06 would be nice, but if the head position is akward, then a Swedish M41b or K98 with a 4X scope would probably be better. Agree?

I can not give you a distance measurement but eye relief should always give you a full view in the scope. Every person will not be the same, depending on how they mount the rifle. In prone your head position will be much different then other shooting positions, much shorter. A Swed sniper will have a very hi-mounted scope, unlike a 03A4.
    Last edited by dave; 11-10-2011 at 09:48.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Byrns View Post
    Jim
    What is a YUGO,Isn't that a Chocolate drink Yogie Berra used to sell?
    Ed
    Ed, you spent too much time on the trains. A Yugo was a hippie SUV.

jt

Quote Originally Posted by dcat View Post
    I am wondering how the eye relief is on a A4 clone with a Weaver K2.5. I know the head position can be awkward with the original scopes and was just wondering of it is better with the K2.5.

In other words, can you get a good comfortable position in prone or do you have to hold your head back on the stock to see through the scope?

Thanks in advance,
    dcat
    Both the Weaver 330C and the Lyman Alaskan scopes had fairly long eye-relief (I believe around 3.5" to 5"). The problem with the Weaver 330C was that when it was used in conjunction with the Redfield Jr. mount you couldn't take full advantage of the scopes eye relief since the front edge of the data plate interferes with the trailing edge of the rear scope ring. The Redfield Jr. mount works better with the Alaskan.

There were some reports of scope cuts from shooters using the Weaver K2.5 on "A4's" on the CMP forum right after the summer time match. Hard to sit here and say what the exact causal factor was but I believe some of the shooters felt the position of the K2.5 W/E turrets prevented the scope being mounted far enough forward.

Regards,
    Jim
    Last edited by jgaynor; 11-13-2011 at 08:28.

I've mounted two of 'em on rifles, one an original, another a fake, and with repop C stocks, they do seem to be a bit uncomfortable, at least for me. Not saying that they're not useable, just don't feel quite right. No issues so far with yet another crescent shaped scar on the forehead with this setup, though, even on the bags. In position, with a good sling, recoil is mitigated to the point that I have no issues, even with a .375 H&H and a K 2.5.

I have an A4orgery with the Weaver K2.5. The Weaver has a relatively long eye relief and because of this the rifle is a little awkward to shoot. It puts your head way back on the stock.
    How someone could get a scope cut from this combination? Doesn't seem possible unless we are talking about shooters with no experience that don't place the rifle in the shoulder properly. Oh wait we're talking about CMP games right?

iv built a few replica A4,s with a Weaver K2.5,, out of the choices available for the vintage sniper matches, by far the best to afford and use.
    if set up right , they are nice to use, and see through..
    the Lyman Ak is a little nicer, but hard to find one under 300.00 right now..i can get the Weaver for 50.00 to 100.00...and can have it repaired if needed.
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.