View Poll Results: How Important is Issue Ammo?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gotta Have it

6 15.38%
  • Take it or leave it

7 17.95%
  • Rather shoot my own

26 66.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Two tier pricing is the way to go. Also 30-06 Surplus is drying up .

2. Default

Gentlemen, Being able to buy ammo at the match from the CMP effectively is two tier pricing. You may choose to buy or not to buy. Rick

I think what he's driving at is as follows:

Instead of CMP charging the same price as last year and not providing ammo, they should lower the entry fee somewhat and have ammunition available for sale for those that want it at additional cost.

Which I don't agree with. One of the last bits of the old DCM heritage was 'no reloads, issue ammo only'. That was always the dividing line between NRA matches and DCM matches; DCM provided ammo, NRA didn't.
    Last edited by Plain Old Dave; 11-14-2011 at 08:34.

4. Default

Dave, The old DCM is long gone. It was subsidized by tax dollars and that will never again happen. It is now history. The current CMP EIC matches does not offer issued ammo. It is obvious that the CMP needs to raise its match fees for the "as-issue" matches based on their documented expenses. Since the fees can be held to a lower price if ammo is not issued and some shooters would rather not use issued ammo, it seems the CMP took the best overall approach - even if it is not a thrilling proposition to some. For those who wish to use the Hornady ammo, the CMP offers it for sale at a very attracitive price. Rick

5. Default

Ammo may separate the top10 or 20 shooters in an event at 200 yrds. The rifle and shooter play a much larger role. I think they made the right decision make select ammo affordable but don't require it. That is the American way.
    Last edited by Johnny in Texas; 03-09-2012 at 08:07.