View Poll Results: How Important is Issue Ammo?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gotta Have it

6 15.38%
  • Take it or leave it

7 17.95%
  • Rather shoot my own

26 66.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Issue Ammo at CMP National Games

Heard some rumblings at the Western Games about the cost of the issue Hornady ammo.

Giving each entrant $60 worth of ammo for a $50 entry fee has got to be losing CMP money.

The solution would seem to be either raising entry fees to cover or doing away with it.

So how important is the issue ammo to you?

Maury
    Last edited by Maury Krupp; 10-27-2011 at 08:37.

You already know my answer......I'd prefer shooting ammo off my own bench (more "piece-of-mind"). At 200 yds, ammo cannot add, it can only subtract (use the HXP debacle as your model!), so no real impact on the spirit of the competition. But that's me. I fear it would be a terrible burden on some of the more "casual" shooters. An increase in the entry with ammo and the option of "rolling your own" at a reduced fee may be the way to go.

For us reloaders, issue ammo isn't important at all. For non-reloaders, I imagine they appreciate the opportunity to shoot the Hornady ammo instead of HXP. If the CMP ever allows handloads in lieu of issued ammo, those that can't reload will assume that we are producing 1/2 MOA ammo that can't miss the ten ring. There'll be lots of hollering that we have an unfair advantage. I certainly wouldn't do anything to disabuse them of that notion.
    FWIW, in a conversation I had with a CMP person at the Eastern Games he indicated that eventually they might start issuing the 150 gr., FMJ Hornady ammo to keep costs down.
    Last edited by CMP Shooter; 10-28-2011 at 09:53.

4. Default

I'm with John Kepler, a two tier pricing method would work and keep the budget out of the red. The only reason I can think that they should keep this pricing is to encourage new shooters, the ammo is a "loss leader."

I will be the dissenting voice here. For the CMP Games matches, everyone should be shooting the same ammo. This levels playing field and is in keeping with the spirit of the matches. These matches are suppose to be "as issued" and fun. If you really need the last ounce of accuracy in each shot, stick with the NRA matches.

I saw a few points difference in scores between the HXP and Hornady ammo. Saw no difference between them as far as function goes, both worked fine. I can take it or leave it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CMP Shooter View Post
    For us reloaders, issue ammo isn't important at all. For non-reloaders, I imagine they appreciate the opportunity to shoot the Hornady ammo instead of HXP. If the CMP ever allows handloads in lieu of issued ammo, those that can't reload will assume that we are producing 1/2 MOA ammo that can't miss the ten ring. There'll be lots of hollering that we have an unfair advantage. I certainly wouldn't do anything to disabuse them of that notion.
    FWIW, in a conversation I had with a CMP person at the Eastern Games he indicated that eventually they might start issuing the 150 gr., FMJ Hornady ammo to keep costs down.
    Locally the match director limits handloads to hunting bullets, no match grade. I guess he has no experience with a Nosler ballistic tip.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Personally, I like having all the same ammo across the board, but I'd be perfectly happy with lower cost round. The Hornady shot great for me. My 03 does NOT like HXP as some batches are long and chamber very hard, so I don't think that is a great alternative. It would be dissapointing to incurr all the costs of getting to Phoenix and then get issued some 40 year old ammo that wont chamber or go bang. Flying with my own ammo would be a huge pain when combined with the rest of my gear since the airlines charge so much for baggage (and weight overages) I would be satisfied if I could purchase the Hornady (or equal) on site.

Any safe ammo is allowed for all other CMP sponsored matches; why should CMP Games be any different? All or none; go back to issuing ammo at the line for leg matches or allow any safe ammo for all CMP sanctioned competition.

Looks like it has been decided.

From the 2012 Eastern Games sign up:

"Please note competitors will have to supply their own ammunitition for all events including the GSM matches. The CMP will have ammunitition for sale, at a discount (for competitors only) to purchase for the Garand, Springfield and Carbine matches."

http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/match...i?matchID=7812

Roll your own, bring commercial/surplus or buy there from CMP.

Just checked and same thing goes for the Oklahoma Games.
    Last edited by collectorm1ca; 11-05-2011 at 12:42.
    Mike Miller
    DR #1724
    President's Hundred

10. Default

The thought that issued ammo "levels the playing field" is a figment of one's imagination. There are so many other facts that influence one's performance that the contribution of ammo is largely lost in the mix. Rick