halfthrottle Guest

Default 1895 chilean mauser

I have found a sporterized 1895 chilean mauser, conversion from 7x57 to 7.62x51 nato .308
    looks good for its age, then I read there is a warning on this rifle not to use .308 winchester ammo as pressure is too high for the action. Has anyone had any experience shooting this
    rifle with nato loads below 50,000 psi or cast bullet ammo? $200.00 rifle thought it would be a
    fun shooter. Having been sporterized it would not have any collector value. Maybe add $ and
    get a good .308????

When they did the conversion, the bored out the chamber & inserted a sleve in it for the 308 & silver solded it in. A gunsmith has cut one of these barrels open & found that the gases were melting the solder out of the the joint were the chamber meets the barrel. Not good. Stay away from it.

Pushing .308" bullets down a .284" barrel is NOT good juju! --Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    Pushing .308" bullets down a .284" barrel is NOT good juju! --Jim
    The rifles were rebored to .308.The problem was it didn't remove enough of the 7mm chamber to rechamber to the .308 cartridge,they had to bore and sleeve the chambers.

halfthrottle Guest

Thank you, for the helpful replies. Does't sound like it is the most desirerable mauser rifle.
    I think I will just take out my M1 Garand and give it a hug and some TLC.
    I did pick up a CMP Scout sope mount for the M1 but have never put it on, I don't think it would do the rifle any justice.
    It might go on the selling bock, but you dont see too many of them around??? It might work if I used a red dot or panoramic
    instead of a long eye relief scope? I might have to start a new thread on this topic? Thanks again..

6. Default

I have heard only the M98's had a sleeve soldiered in-place. The M95's are supposed to be a push fit. I am not certain the Chile Army intended to use the guns. Perhaps drill rifles or Basic Training toys. Not meant for regular firing, for sure.