Default chrome or no chrome

I have a 1900 dated Krag bayonet that is very shiny. Almost looks chromed but for some reason I think it is not, for one thing, in the rusted spots there is no chrome pealing off like chrome used to peal from car bumpers. In the old days. when I was a kid.

If you are versed in Krag bayonet's I'd love to hear your opinion/thoughts.

Thanks
    Mark
    Maine
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

The original finish on the Model 1892 (Krag) bayonets is bright polish. Normally that polish is not quite as shiny as chrome, but someone may have repolished it to a brighter shine. Many of these bayonets were chrome plated officially by the military to be used as Cadet bayonets at West Point or other military academies and were used until the early 1960s when the M14 rifles became standard issue. However, some were also chromed outside the military to be used for dress/ceremonial purposes by organizations such as the American Legion, VFW and some school honor guards. Normally it is difficult to impossible to be sure who did the work. The grips have to be removed to chrome the metal, and only the early military work had the grips replaced with the domed rivets. Later military work used an unusual type of bolt and spanner nut. Most non-military versions used some variation of bolt and nut or even wood screws. A little more information may be found at http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_12.htm

my bayonet has domed rivets and the finish on those rivets matches the rest of the bayonet. Tomorrow morning I'll add some photos.

Thanks for the informed response.

Regards,

Mark
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

I look at the blade and think "no chrome" then I look at the handle and I think "chrome".

Thanks for looking,

Mark

Can't say of course, but I see a lot of bayonets that the blade is nice and the rest is not as nice. Primarily because the blade is protected by the scabbard, the rest is out in the weather.

Add to that, the pommel is where your hand grips the bayonet. Moisture from the skin could cause discoloration. plus as stated, the pommel is out in the weather.