Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WWII Ka-bars

Default WWII Ka-bars

Seems to be slow at the Knife and Bayonet forum. Thought I would show my two WWII Marine Ka-bars. Although I spent my time in the US Army, and mostly collect Army knives and bayonets (M3s and M4s for example), the WWII Marine Ka-bars and US Navy Mark 2s have an allure all their own.

The first Marine Ka-bar shown is one I picked up at an Antique Festival I attended with my wife. It’s a blade marked USMC on one side, KA-BAR (no Olean, NY) on the other. It came in the leather sheath shown, has a thin pommel with pin through both sides, and a nice tight leather handle. I believe this is a late war Ka-bar, not sure of the exact dates it was made.

This next one I bought at a Flea Market some years ago. It’s one of the early 1943s with KA-BAR over OLEAN, NY on one side, no markings on the other. It came in the sheath shown, obviously not correct. The pommel is of the thick type, with a circular peened tang, and the handle is tight.

Nice blades, I'm fond of them also.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

3. Default

Here is an Army Ka-Bar that was probably issued as a commemorative.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A WWII USMC, but not a KA-BAR.

Very nice PAL
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Quote Originally Posted by stars-n-bars View Post
    Here is an Army Ka-Bar that was probably issued as a commemorative.
    Not a commemorative, but a Viet Nam era made Mark 2 knife. The US over CAMILLUS, NY were made up to Sept 1974; after that the marks were US over CAMILLUS (no NY). Shortly after that Camillus lost the contract. First time I've seen a scabbard marked US ARMY 1975.

Johnny, very nice PAL and hard to find. My PAL with red spacers is a USN Mark 2; it's the one on the right in the picture. The group (from left to right) are WWII PALs; RH 34, RH 35 (Mark 1), RH 36, and RH 37 (Mark 2). I just had to have a set.

8. Default

The grips on my knife are marked U.S on one side and 1975 on the other side. Also on the back of the scabbard it's marked M.44.C Any idea what that designation might be? Does anyone know if any Army units were issued Mk.2's during Vietnam?

Quote Originally Posted by stars-n-bars View Post
    The grips on my knife are marked U.S on one side and 1975 on the other side. Also on the back of the scabbard it's marked M.44.C Any idea what that designation might be? Does anyone know if any Army units were issued Mk.2's during Vietnam?
    As far as I know, the Mark 2s during Viet Nam (and after) were in the DoD supply system, and any service could order them through the supply chain. As for M.44.C, no idea as to what it means. You might post a question over on the US Military forum under Edged Weapons at: www.usmilitariaforum.com

10. Default

Thanks for all the info. thorin6. I registered at the usmilitaria forums but can't seem to be able to get on. At first it said the admin. would have to reveiw my registration and now it says my member log-in info. is unregognized. I see you are a member there, have you had similar problems. I sent an e-mail to the admin. no response.