Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default question on dd 214

Going over my DD214 today and noticed Under decorations, medals, badges, commendations that there is a W/2BSS following Vietnam service medal. What might this w/2bss be. Never notice it before, just curious.

Was 2 b summarily shot???

regards, dennis

With 2 Battle Stars
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

4. Default

Each service medal such as VN service ,SWA service has to have at least one bronze service star. You just dont get the Medal you get it for participating in a Campaign. My SWA has 2 bronze service stars on it. One for Desert Shield and one for Desert Storm. Each star represents a campaign.
    Mack
    hitler, stalin and mao were progressives in their time

Thanks guys, thanks for the links Oyaji. Got er now.

regards, dennis

Quote Originally Posted by cwartyman View Post
    Each service medal such as VN service ,SWA service has to have at least one bronze service star. You just dont get the Medal you get it for participating in a Campaign. My SWA has 2 bronze service stars on it. One for Desert Shield and one for Desert Storm. Each star represents a campaign.
    Mack
    Right you are, Mack.

A bronze service star is worn for each campaign the individual participated in. Five campaigns would be denoted with a silver service star; six campaigns would be denoted with a silver service star and a bronze service star and so on.

There are still some out there who believe that the Vietnam Service Medal (VSM) worn with a bronze service star on it represents the second award. Not true. The VSM is always worn with at least one bronze service star.

7. Default

If in 93 I had gone on the USS Abraham Lincoln with the unit I had gone to Desert Shield/Storm with I would have been awarded another star on my SWA service medal and that campaign would have been for Operation Southern Watch. Say some one was on a C-141 crew and flew supplies into South Vietnam during any time between 1959-1975 they would have been awarded a VSM with at least Campaign Star as that flight would have been connected with at least one of recognized Campaigns. Problem becomes that neither your SRB nor your DD214 specifies which Campaign on the Awards page. In your SRB there is a page that lists combat history, expeditions, awards record. The pics below are from my SRB and you see that the Campaigns are listed on the top of the page but the awards only say 2 Stars but not for what Campaigns. When your DD214 is made out this is the page they get your Awards from.
    Mack

Mack...recognize NDSM as National Defense Service Medal, GCM as Good Conduct Medal, SASM as Southwest Asia Service Medal, and KLM as Kuwait Liberation Medal but, what are the other abbreviations for? Suspect NU is a Navy Unit Commendation which is usually seen as "NUC." Unsure about SSDR and SD.

By the way.......Thanks for your service.

Oyaji, thank you for your explanation. I am in the uncomfortable position of having, like John Kerry, a DD-215. My DD-214 has the wrong SSN; realized that about 25 years out when the US Navy said, " And you are... WHO?!?" I got that corrected and at the same time turned in my 2nd Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal for a VSM. (Thank you to the Saigon Embassy Marines who got that one passed!) I ordered some miniature medals from Medals of America and I was a little questioning myself about that star device. It looks very salty and I had them tart it up with an EGA device, which I am real proud of. I guess they know what they are doing at that outfit.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 09-26-2011 at 06:28.

10. Default

ssdr and sd are for sea service deployment ribbon they just abbreviated it as sd. That was from a different unit than the first award of the ribbon, Nu is Navy unit commendation guess they figured a S1 person would know what they meant.
    Mack