Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VZ 24 Questions

I have some decent pics here, but they make the rifle look pretty beat up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I took some decent pictures, although they don't show the true condition of the rifle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Smile Look for 'intrinsic values'

Okay, your rifle may has some scratches and dings but remember this rifle is probably eighty years old. The outer appearance is more or less secondary; look for 'intrinsic values'. If the bore is bright, crisp and shiny...what else do you want? The fancy appearance of a rifle is useless if it does not even hit a barn door.

Side sling swivels have been removed, now I'm sure it is a German WW11 rework. By the way, the lower barrel band is on the wrong way, should be turned around, so swevil is on left of rifle. The swivel that went thru the pistol grip is also gone, hole filled with a plug, right? Nice find and very likly a WW11 bring back. Contact prvious owner and ask questions, get any such info in writing.

Thanks for the info guys!
    Dave, I'll check the rifle for what you suspect. Unfortunately, the previous owner is a deceased WW2 vet, and I purchased it at his estate sale. Based on all the WW2 goodies being auctioned off, I don't think anyone in his family gave a rat's a** about the sole rifle's history.

Yup, the swivel is plugged with what appears to be a dowel rod.
    I noticed that on the bolt there is a small lion (identical to the one on the receiver) on the "ball" of the bolt, but there is not a Z1 along with the serial number.

The stock (no Z1) and bolt (same) probably were replacments during German rebuild. However they re-numbered them to match w/o the Z1. Very commen with German/Czech rebuilds. These rifles eventually turned into the new-built G.24(t) and then the factory was converted to K98k production.
    The owner, being a WW11 vet, is good clue it is a bring back. If you could get some info on his service and when (europe during the war?, maybe family will remember he did bring it back?, get his name?) Its worth a shot, tho it would not be proof still nice to know! Those little lions are inspector stamps. The one on right front of reciever is firing proof.
    Last edited by dave; 11-05-2009 at 09:15.

coverga Guest

Default question on VZ24

I am looking at a VZ24, no import marks, Czech army proof acceptance E "lion" 26. SN xxxx I1. Bore is very good, wood is good, no corrosion, no counterbore, bluing very good. Top receiver marked CZECSLOVENSKA-ZBROJONKA-BRNO. Has old leather sling. Missing lower sling swivel, but swivel base and screws are in place. Bolt is blued and has same serial # as receiver but not "I1" suffix. Rear sight base stamped, front band stamped, barrel SN not looked at, stock is stamped with reciever number, disc appears undisturbed and is marked 31R-1902. Gun shop is very reputable, owner thinks is vet bringback. Any thoughts on value of this piece. Owner wants $550. Seems a bit high, but a very nice piece compared to the refurbished ones I have seen in the local shops for $250-$275.

I am a former VZ-24 owner - mine was nowhere near as nice as the pictures above, but it was a very well-made rifle, no rust or pits, accurate and easy to get off follow-up shots. It had a lot of Cyrillic in the stampings, including marks from Krajina Arsenal, so it was a Yugo. I traded it to my brother for a Yamaha 650 a number of years ago and still kind of regret ...

jn
    Last edited by jon_norstog; 04-07-2011 at 05:47.

Quote Originally Posted by coverga View Post
    I am looking at a VZ24, no import marks, Czech army proof acceptance E "lion" 26. SN xxxx I1. Bore is very good, wood is good, no corrosion, no counterbore, bluing very good. Top receiver marked CZECSLOVENSKA-ZBROJONKA-BRNO. Has old leather sling. Missing lower sling swivel, but swivel base and screws are in place. Bolt is blued and has same serial # as receiver but not "I1" suffix. Rear sight base stamped, front band stamped, barrel SN not looked at, stock is stamped with reciever number, disc appears undisturbed and is marked 31R-1902. Gun shop is very reputable, owner thinks is vet bringback. Any thoughts on value of this piece. Owner wants $550. Seems a bit high, but a very nice piece compared to the refurbished ones I have seen in the local shops for $250-$275.
    Sounds like another German rework. Misc. placed xtra serail numbers, leaving the I1 off of serials on replaced parts, blue bolt, and early dated rifles, etc. You did not say the serial but I will guess--1902? The rifle was issued to the 31- something (the Czech unit identified by R has not been id'ed). The 1902 is the weapon number, many times this was same as serial. German modified Czech weapons are much in demand and bring more then average. It is a lil' high but a very nice rifle and disireable.. Offer 500, out the door, maybe you'll get a lil luckey