Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your SSN...

Default Your SSN...

Responding to the post about having your dogtags on your keychain and the possibility of identity theft because they display your SSN, it got me to thinking about that very same information on my old military paperwork. I still have all my paperwork from my time in the service. Last year, out of curiosity I was poking thru it all. My orders for reporting to my duty station not only had my SSN, but everybody else's that was processing thru the 21st Replacement Co. There must have been 30 other people on the same set of orders. I'm sure that my information is sitting in the dusty trunks of Lord knows how many other people's basements just waiting to be discovered and exploited...but what can one do? Mike

Just checked my dogtags and all they have is my service number, no soc sec number.

In 1969 the serial number was retired and SSN was adopted.
    Tags after that have the SSN,
    I also have quite a lot of old orders with many SSNs on them.
    Interesting subject.

This is the main reason many of us opposed the military going to SSN in place of our old service numbers.But, as usual, the pencil pushers won and we lost. Nick

Someone in the Philippines has my SSN and knows I am R Cath and B neg. I left my dogtags in my utilities... (fatigues...)

Question along the same line..... Do you guys with the old service numbers use the last four at the vA or do they use your SS number? Just wonderin.

regards, dennis

Actually it should have been against the law for the Serives to use your SS Number, unless you gave it to them! The law states that one Gov. Agency cannot get or use your SS Number w/o your permission. Oddly this does not include private buisness, thus a credit car company can and does demand your number or will not give you a card, that is legal.

VA uses the SS# at check in.

Thanks Joem, will wonder no more.

regards, dennis

The V.A. used to use the last 4 digits of your SS #. Now you have to give them your entire 9 digit number. I was in the blood draw clinic when I heard the guy in the next chair give his number. As unlikely as it may be, his number was identical to mine except for 1 number. My last 4 were 75** and his was 74**. I can still remember my service number. It was 722540.

The really odd thing about my VA ID card is that it has my middle name on it. Odd because I do not have a middle name. I served in the military for 6 years on continous active duty. I didn't realize I had no middle name until 25 years later when I traveled to Canada and they required a notarized copy of my birth certificate. Hello!!! There is no middle name on my birth cirtificate!

Just another typical bureaucratic screw up. So now these same bureaurats are going to tell us when, how, and where we can see a doctor and some high school drop out bureaucrat is going to decide whether you receive the stent that will keep you alive.

Hello Gloria. I hope Tricare or Medicare will step up for you.... but I pray you have a supplemental insurance policy that actually pays benefits.

My Medicare supplemental policy did well when I went to the VA ER for chest pains. The bill was $5,500... the medicare supplement paid $17 to the VA. In the end I wound up getting quite a break and after the dust settled only was our $2,200 out of pocket