Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by pmclaine View Post
    Man, when you try to explain the term "Shoulder of the cartridge" to someone that round would be ideal to do so. Its almost like its stepped. Whats it like sizing these things to reload?

I have no interest in Mausers but I have been following this post regularly. Thanks for posting.
    Reloading is very much like any other cartridge, except you go through powder like grease through a goose. I did manage to break the decapping pin, but that was my fault. I full length resize every case, use large rifle primers, and crimp the cases slightly. You have to make sure each case is well lubricated to avoid sticking cases, and check OAL each time although case stretch isn't a problem.

jt
    Last edited by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle; 08-29-2011 at 04:41.

2. Default Rust Bluing

I have had to work (job) the last couple of days and have done little to the rifle but rust blue the scratches and dings from inletting and glass bedding. My method of rust bluing is different from anything I have read or seen, but it works so well and requires so little effort that I like it. If you look back at past pics and look at the pics below, you can see what I have done. You see, I do it in stages and use no heat or water or rubber gloves or any of the stuff one usually does. All one needs is the right solution. The end results are spectacular.

I inletted the stock for the larger magazine, and you can't tell the difference from the outside. I am going to add a second crossbolt behind the magazine, and I did not have to move the front crossbolt after all. How lucky can I get?

I started shaping and polishing the feed ramp last night, which is longer than I expected it to be after the cut-back, mostly because I moved the rear wall of the magazine back in addition to moving the front wall forward. I suppose one could argue that removing any metal weakens the receiver, but no more than I removed can only have a miniscule effect.

I will have to trim the bolt stop so I have more extractor extension for that big case. I will also trim some metal from the inside of the right clip feed slot guide to aid in the big case swinging out during its exit. I still have to make the half-moon cut to be able to extract 410 gr (bullet) loaded rounds. Again, the half-moon cut requires very little metal removal.

I read an article in an African magazine for hunters and guides, about a qualification test where the rifles must past muster. The author did not like American rifles and didn't like some English rifles (DGR's). He particularly didn't like the Weatherby's and Remington's. I wonder what he would think of mine. His issues were reliable feeding, too hot rounds, and the position of the safety. I would love to have him put mine through the paces.

I am getting to the mundane polishing, bluing, and stock finishing now; as well as that dreaded checkering job. I have to decide if I am going to stain the stock (logwood stain) or leave it that peculiar American Walnut color, which I actually like. Plenty of time to decide.

One day at a time, part time. That is my motto. You can build a barn by nailing up one board a day, and hardly notice the cost. But Old Rosey ain't no barn!

jt
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Default More Pictures

I couldn't load them all at once.

jt

4. Default Nearing the End

I am in the process of finishing the stock. I have completed the metal work with the exception of some welding on the floorplate to close an unsightly gap and polishing the metal. I did start polishing the bolt. The finish you see starts out with a 240/360 grit sanded stock, onto which a very diluted solution of Tru-Oil and mineral spirits is applied twice. This increases penetration, but takes a little longer. I use no filler, and apply the Tru-Oil by hand. For a $15 stock, it looks very nice.

Yesterday I finished shaping the feed ramp and cut the tit off the inside of the right clip slot as well as removing a few thousandths off the tip of the bolt stop. All extraction issues promptly vanished. The big case was hitting the tit just as it was released by the extractor, leaving the case sitting over the magazine. That's bad dooty for a DGR.

I need to start polishing the receiver and floorplate for rust bluing. First I need to do some cosmetic welding on the floorplate. I am nearing the end of my tasks. I purchased a couple of boxes of Kynoch 410 gr solids on sale at Midway. You know those puppies are expensive when they sell them 5 rounds to a box. I will use them to gauge the size of the half-moon cut for extracting live rounds. From preliminary measurements, it is going to be a very small half-moon. Moving that magazine wall back really paid off.

I will post pictures later tonight. Bear in mind, I paid $15 for this stock, and this is its first coat of finish.

jt
    Last edited by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle; 09-01-2011 at 08:59.

5. Default Rest of Pictures

The rest of the pictures.

jt

Very nice rifle. You do exceptionally good work. You did say that you plan to replace the grip cap, didn't you?
    "A generation which ignores history has no past and no future." - Jean Boden

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on."
    -- Robert Frost

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Very nice rifle. You do exceptionally good work. You did say that you plan to replace the grip cap, didn't you?
    Thank you. I have been doing it since I was a kid. I am a student of many craftsmen like Tommy Bish, Jim Howe, and my favorite stocker, Alvin Linden (and many others). I will never be as good as any of them, but at least I tried.

Yes, I will replace the grip cap with a nicer grip cap, maybe of cape Buffalo horn, which I have, or a heavier steel one, which I need to order.

Jim
    Last edited by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle; 09-02-2011 at 07:27.

since you wre obviously cheated so bad on that stock, I'd make a fair offer to you for this old squirrel gun, it's brass & dies too............. Looks dern good so far, wainting to hear your first range report & even more for your first cape buffalo hunt with it.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by da gimp View Post
    since you wre obviously cheated so bad on that stock, I'd make a fair offer to you for this old squirrel gun, it's brass & dies too............. Looks dern good so far, wainting to hear your first range report & even more for your first cape buffalo hunt with it.
    I have recovered financially from the beating I took on that stock. I actually got two stocks for $15. The seller stated they were flawed and no one bid on them but me.

Shooting from the bench is going to be a hoot. I hope, and expect, the rifle to be very accurate. I assume the sights are registered for factory ammo, and I don't want to be cutting on the sights. I will change front sights instead (easily done on the CZ 550). I do hope to go Cape Buffalo hunting in the future, and I have been checking prices and accommodations, and it is truly expensive. I wish I could find a "work as you hunt" setup, but that is unlikely. Do you want to go with me? I would build a rifle for you.

jt
    Last edited by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle; 09-04-2011 at 08:54.

Ed, my neighbor, said he could have bought a nice farm for what he paid for those hunts featured on Nosler's Magnum TV.

Currently nursing another blown lumbar disc (fell in 86, broke 2 vertebre, ribs, & blew out all lumbar discs). Only have 1 lung now & am on an inhalor, because it's shot, I could never do the walking required, I run out of breath just going out to feed the dogs & clean the kennels, but ty for the offer, wish we'd talked pre 1999 when I got hurt & got lung cancer.

Used to bird hunt nearly every day, maybe only for 1/2 to 1 hour a day & on my days off, from early morning to dark, had 13 German Shorthairs back then. just buried my last 1.

I daam sure want pix of that buffalo hunt, and as Ed said, let the kids & grandkids make their own money, it'll be good for them.........spend their inheritance. Live your dreams bud, He only gives us 1 go round in life.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter