Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. Cool Barrel Band, magazine, & Bolt Release

I went through almost a lb of 4350 before I decided I needed to get back to work. I like this puppy, and I will name her Rosey (deceptive, heh?) because she makes me smile.

I tippy-toed down to the hardware store and bought some solder paste. I tapered the barrel band to fit the barrel by turning it on sandpaper wrapped around the barrel (one layer), chamffered the outer edges a bit, tinned it, and soldered it on. I need to clean it up and she is ready for the hunt.

I made the initial cuts on the magazine box (pics below) and will make the front nose piece and the rear plate tomorrow. I moved the rear plate back as far as possible (thickness of rear plate) to lessen the metal that must be removed from the receiver ramp. The nose piece will enable me to load two rounds in the magazine and one in the chamber, for a total of three available shots. To have gone for four rounds would have required widening the magazine, and this stock won't allow that. Note the homemade hinged floorplate and latch. I will have to move the pin forward about 1/4". I will use a standard Mauser spring and follower and should have no problems. Once it is all together, I can start the rail alteration to allow feeding the larger diameter rounds, which includes cutting back and reshaping the ramp to the chamber.

I thinned the stock to almost flush with the bolt release, but left it proud for finish sanding. It will be a flush mount. That's about it until tomorrow.

jt
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle; 08-23-2011 at 09:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine A5 Sniper View Post
    They are fun to shoot, but how do you keep the trigger guard from rapping your knuckle? I went out to the range again today, and I changed loads because I realized the load I was using was pushing the pressure limitation in my rifle. I am now loading 91.4 grs 4350 behind a 350 gr bullet, which is on the lower end of the pressure scale, but recoil didn't change much. I did eliminate the sticking cases. I am also shooting 6" to 8" high at 100 yds, but I can fix that with a shorter front sight insert.

Jim
    If it`s shooting high, you need a taller front sight to get the barrel down.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by older than dirt View Post
    If it`s shooting high, you need a taller front sight to get the barrel down.
    You are absolutely correct. I misspoke, as I will indeed need a taller front sight. Mea maxima culpa.

Thanks for setting the record straight.

jt

Probably all wrong, but I put quite grip on the stock with the last three fingers of my right hand. I also pull the gun back into my shoulder fairly hard with both hands. Not a death grip, but a firm pull into the shoulder. A 2 to 2.5 pound trigger release still gives you the "surprise" when it lets loose so accuracy is not compromised.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Larry C. View Post
    Probably all wrong, but I put quite grip on the stock with the last three fingers of my right hand. I also pull the gun back into my shoulder fairly hard with both hands. Not a death grip, but a firm pull into the shoulder. A 2 to 2.5 pound trigger release still gives you the "surprise" when it lets loose so accuracy is not compromised.
    Thanks, Larry. I am old, and my grip isn't what it used to be, but I know I am doing something wrong. You and I are on the same page with how to hold, but I guess I have a wimp grip. I will install a pad on the trigger guard if I have to. That is a nasty rap on the old knuckle, but the kick itself isn't a problem. If you haven't tried the Pachmyer recoil compensator, I highly recommend them.

Thanks for the advice, Larry. I take it you are a big bore guy?

jt

My .416 Rem. resides in a McMillian fiberglass stock (Express Style). It was built on an old, in-the-white Magnum Mauser action I had. It is not ported or have a compensator. I have used it to take even whitetails (rather stunning reasults I might add). Yes, I love 'em. Once you are able to handle the gun, and you shoot it a lot, there is nothing else like it. It's also fun to take it to a public range and let loose a few rounds.... it does get people's attention. On the rapping knuckles, try shooting off-hand. let the gun work your body rather than yor hand and shoulder. I've found I can shoot a lot more often and absorb more recoil off-hand.

7. Default The Magazine

Since I decided to stick with only two rounds in the magazine, my only concern was length. I moved the rear plate back, and made a new nose piece (pictures). It will take a factory round of 3.720" length with a little room to spare. I will epoxy a slick piece of plastic into the nose to keep lead rounds from hanging on the steel front.

The nice part is that is requires very little inletting to accommodate. Next will be the nerve racking part of the conversion - the opening up of the rails to allow feeding of the rounds. Too much and the rounds just pop out, not enough and the rounds won't feed properly. Everything has to be done just right. Arrgghh!

I included a pic of the barrel band swivel to show the plum color one gets in the early stages of rust bluing. When finished, it will all match.

jt
    Last edited by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle; 08-25-2011 at 09:08.

an old retired SF trooper here uses a Ruger in .458 Win for hunting (amongst other calibres) hunting deer n such.Billy is about 5'7" mebbe 5'8", was about 160 lbs when he got it, & flat out loves it. He's maybe gained a little in the last 30 yrs.......
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

9. Default Altering the Feed Rails of "Old Rosey"

The one thing a DGR must do is feed reliably every time - no exceptions. Old Rosey holds two rounds in the magazine, which means each one will feed from a different side. I also chose to alter the standard Mauser follower rather than buy a "magnum" follower, which Brownells sells. Simultaneous to altering the feed rails, I had to alter the extractor for operation with the Rigby round. That would prove to be a challenge also.

The job is finished except for polishing the rails and everything else in the vicinity. If anyone is interested, I will devote a post on how to alter the feed rails for one of the largest rounds that comes down the pike. I will tell you this - it is much easier to get a round to feed from the left than to feed from the right (last round). Tougher yet is to get a soft point round to feed effortlessly and slowly, which Old Rosey will now do. I believe I have done a good job, and I am considering making a video of the rounds feeding into the chamber from firing the 1st round in the chamber to firing the 3rd round from the magazine. If anyone is interested, let me know. By the way, I did 100% the work while Hurricane Irene was trashing my little farm. I worked until the power failed, went out and drug the generator from the shop, cranked it, set the back-feed prevention, and went back to work.

The rifle will now accept 3 factory 3.720" rounds, chamber each round from its relative position, and hopefully put all projectiles within a 2" circle at 100 yards (416 Rigby's are inherently accurate), which is way better than minute-of-Cape Buffalo accuracy from a rifle that will deliver over 2 1/2 tons of redneck kickass every time you pull the trigger.

All the work that remains is cosmetic or simple in nature (except for the checkering). I will have a bench rest session fairly soon, complete with chronograph data. I expect the rifle to be very accurate, and will accept nothing less.

Semper Fi,

jt

10. Default

Man, when you try to explain the term "Shoulder of the cartridge" to someone that round would be ideal to do so. Its almost like its stepped. Whats it like sizing these things to reload?

I have no interest in Mausers but I have been following this post regularly. Thanks for posting.
    Last edited by pmclaine; 08-29-2011 at 03:42.