Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
  1. Default

The two bullets I have used to date are a 350 Linotype flat nose bullet and the Woodleigh 410 gr solid that Kynoch loads. Neither deform in the magazine. I have the 350 gr loaded to about 34,000 psi to keep velocity reasonable for a cast bullet (2300 fps), which helps. I do get deformation of the cast bullet when I seat them in the case, as I get a distinct ring around the nose. I assume that is from a seater cup that is too small in diameter. I may open it up to see if that solves the problem.

You might want to place an 1/8" thick plastic shim in the front of the magazine, but if those are spire points, I think there is little you can do to prevent deformation. These rifles do set back pretty hard, but with their excellent sectional densities and ballistic coefficients, accuracy shouldn't be an issue, and penetration should be awesome. I have a downed oak tree from the hurricane, and I shot the tree at a point where it is about 18" in diameter, and the Kynoch solid penetrated the entire tree and continued it's southerly journey. I still need to sit down at the bench and check accuracy, and I may do that today. I am having no problems with offhand recoil, but from a bench I may experience something different.

What bullet/load are you using?

jt

I loaded up some 400 gr. Hawk spire points and do get the deformation on the nose. But they still shoot, and even with the soft nose will go through a 12" tree. I have some 300 gr. x bullets and these are the ones I try for long range accuracy. It is probably a case of using the rifle for something other than what it is intended for, and expecting too much from the bullet.

3. Default

Jim!

This project is completely amazing. You obviously bring a lifetime of acquired skill to the bench, along with some pretty canny instinct. This is a fine weapon regardless of the thrift factor. I hope I can fire this beauty one day both to do it, and to be able to say I did!

Awed-PD

Amazing!! I read the whole post tonight, and to see where you started and where you ended is simply amazing. I am envious of your skill and talent. Thanks for sharing.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PeteDavis View Post
    Jim!

This project is completely amazing. You obviously bring a lifetime of acquired skill to the bench, along with some pretty canny instinct. This is a fine weapon regardless of the thrift factor. I hope I can fire this beauty one day both to do it, and to be able to say I did!

Awed-PD
    Now you know how I feel when I see your stone work. Didn't come easy, did it?

I may be in your area in the next few months, and if so, I will bring old Rosey and a hand full of ammo. Be prepared for the muzzle blast of your life.

I am taking some new medication for my hypothyroidism (dessicated porcine thyroid), and I feel great for the first time in years. I can go all day without passing out, and it has been a very long time since I could say that in honesty. I can work all day now, and most of the pain is gone. I can also drive more than 15 miles now. I have a new lease on life!

Jim
    Last edited by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle; 09-16-2011 at 03:21.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by buttebob View Post
    Amazing!! I read the whole post tonight, and to see where you started and where you ended is simply amazing. I am envious of your skill and talent. Thanks for sharing.
    Bear in mind I learned from many others way more skilled than I.

Thanks.

Jim

7. Default

I just weighed Old Rosey on a very accurate scale, and she weighs 6.16 lbs empty. I thought she was setting back pretty hard. Next time I will add 2 lbs of weights in the stock. Tomorrow we go to the range and sight her in from the bench. It should be an interesting day in more ways than one.

jt

8. Default

This was a non-hunting day in NC, so we took Old Rosey to the range with a pocket full of 410 gr Kynoch solids. Those Kynoch loads make my handloads look like wimps, and had a nice flat primer. First round and the fore end came out of my grasp and headed skyward. The good news is that Old Rosy will shoot MOA with no sweat (3 shot groups). I also was somewhat curious as to how much penetration I could get out of those solids. We located a living oak tree with the top blown out, and marked a spot on the trunk where the diameter was about 18". I backed off about 40 yards and let one of those beast busters loose, centered the spot, and completely penetrated the tree and went points south.

All in all, it was a fun day. Shooting Old Rosey is something of an enigma, if you know what I mean.

Jim

nice shootin, always figured that medium/heavy bores like Rosie & such oughta weigh 9- 9 1/2 lbs in fightin trim. Have several of the old Win 86's in heavy calibres, never understood why they ever put crescent buttplates on em........
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

scottw9120 Guest

Default 416 rigby conversion

can you open bolt face for similar project for me?