Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

arrowheadhunter - I was just curious to see what you had learned and how you decided to apply the information to your project rifles.
    Most of us here would likely prioritize as follows: (1) Restore the .22 trainer, (2) Get a correct stock assembly for the dou 44 to use as a nice shooter, and (3) Use (sell) the good parts on the byf 42 to partially fund the work on the first two. And most of us would like to see you keep them; but would be glad to purchase them if you decide not to pursue any further course of action. Regards.

arrowheadhunter Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alkali View Post
    arrowheadhunter - I was just curious to see what you had learned and how you decided to apply the information to your project rifles.
    Most of us here would likely prioritize as follows: (1) Restore the .22 trainer, (2) Get a correct stock assembly for the dou 44 to use as a nice shooter, and (3) Use (sell) the good parts on the byf 42 to partially fund the work on the first two. And most of us would like to see you keep them; but would be glad to purchase them if you decide not to pursue any further course of action. Regards.

Well, I Found a nice stock for dou, not an exact match but the price was right and it looks good for now, and fun to shoot. The byf, I also got a stock and put it together and sold it to a friend. The 22 trainer, I never found a stock for, but have not really looked to hard. I would like to reassemble, but am open to offers if someone else has the parts and is interested in it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mike webb View Post
    As stated the byf code 98 is an Oberndorf manufactured rifle and in 1942 the rear sight would have been numbered to the rifle, pretty hard to replace. However the DOU44 is restorable particularly if the parts on it match. Actually it was made at Bysterica, Czechoslovakia not Brno, all Brno made rifles were stamped DOT or SWP not DOU. In 1944 many parts were not serialled to the rifle in the interest of faster production so if you can get a late war Czech stock( laminate with cupped buttplate without a bayonet lug) with fittings you can restore it to pretty much original issue. I wish I owned them.
    You are correct of course. SWP was used only in 1945 and Brno also had 945, (early code.) Guess I have to start looking at my notes more often! And late rifles used much less serial numbers then early ones so can be more or less restored.