Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    arrowheadhunter Guest

Default 3 WW German Mausers

I have these three World War II (I presume) German Mod. 98 Mausers, one is Kal .22, and I am not a collector but wondering what makes most sense for them? Getting new stocks, original stocks, leave as-is as I have been doing, sell them or other suggestions? Any ID help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

I beleive your best route is to obtain the correct period stocks for them and then retain them until you are forced to sell or want to sell them. They will continue to appreciate in value.
    I suggest you do some research using the resources available to you online to start with and go from there.
    perhaps you could start here: http://www.milsurps.com/
    click on their link to "knowledge library" and then look for the link on the left hand side to "Germany" click on that
    From there you will doubtless find other sources of information.

When and if you decide to sell, I would like a chance to obtain the .22 cal rifle. If we can mutually agree on an equitable price.
    Good luck whatever you decide.

Top one in picture has had a sporter rear sight installed, needs a stock. You would need an issue sight and stock, both of which would be mis-matched
    second one is the 22 which is NOT a 98 Mauser, which were never made in 22 cal. It is a look-a-like KKW trainer, sold to civilian and para-military units ( Gutloff was maker). It needs a stock, VERY difficult to find!
    third appears to be a Czech made K 98, that is quite collectable, but again the stock replacement would be mis-matched.

Issue K98 stocks are hard to find and expensive, except for Russian Capture and they have had stampings added. And you need all stock furiture which would also be m/m. M/M put to-gether K98's are worth maybe 300 tops (same as RC's). And they will NEVER appreciate more then inflation. And you do not mention if the barreled actions are matched! you will end up spending more then they will be worth.
    I would forget about the two K98's and sell them as is a barreled action. Now the KKW is a different story. Not very commen and value 500 and up to 1000. Look for a stock, it will take a long time but wait. Keep the one on it as you may find one which was cut off at the front. In the mean time take it apart and get rid of the rust, I use Brillo soap pads in hot soapy wter and scub the rust (will NOT harm blue!) May take rust off to bare metal but thats better then rust. Grease the parts. KKW stacks were not serialed, either! PS: I guess I got the sights on the two K98's mixed, but it makes little differenc!
    Last edited by dave; 07-23-2011 at 12:27.

arrowheadhunter Guest

Thanks all for the info, a lot more research which is interesting reading. I do have a question as you say one is Czech made, did they make rifles for germany?(both K98 mausers have the swastika insignias) And how do you tell that so easily, number or letter codes?

Overall, It seems like a ton of effort to make these correct, at least for a novice. I may end up parting with these to collectors in some manner once I figure out the best way to do so, thanks again.

Germany made Mausers at 9 plants, they all used different codes instead of names, dou was the Czech (German controlled) plant at Brno, Czech from 1940 thru 44. In 1940 the WaA inspector at Brno used the number 655 and these numbers will be stamped on all parts, below an eagle. After that a new inspector was assigned with number of 80. These inspector numbers compilcate, actually make it impossible, to assemble a matched rifle (not to mention serial numbers on all parts). K98k rifle production did not start at Brno till late 1942. The rifle with byf on reciever was made by Mauser at Obendorf, Germany, their main plant. The manufacturers codes were changed many times from 1935 thru 1945 so there are dozens of them and perhaps a 100 inspector WaA numbers. The number on reciever are the date of manufacture.
    A ton of effort? No impossible, even if you had thousnds of parts to sort thru, and then these parts design was change over time, milled, stamped, mixed on some rifles., size, cleaning rods, etc, etc. Now understand, I am coming from the point of view of a collector, who will pay up to 1000-1500 for excellent matched examples, but little or nothing for mix-masters. If you want a shooter go out and get an RC for 3-400. Or buy a cheap 200 buck RC stock and cheap m/m furniture and use them. However I would difinatly clean up the 22 and find a stock, even if it took years! Do you have the butt end of the stock? Could be repaired, by a pro!

You have three very nice Mauser " projects". I don't disagree with any of the gentlemen above; just wanted to add some of my observations for your consideration. I'm also a long time military collector with a lifetime interest (or weakness) for stuff just like this. First and foremost, while very valuable in original condition, these can't ever be fully restored to their former glory (or value). But by getting some informed opinions and doing some research, you can decide what an appropriate attempt would be. I''ll get some reference links together and post them in the future. Regards.

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...8-Mauser-Forum
    http://www.k98kforum.com/forum.php

These links will also provide additional high quality forums to review. They both have search features and I'd recommend a thorough read of any posts that interest you. Mausers of any kind can become quite addictive.
    Last edited by Alkali; 07-26-2011 at 11:57. Reason: add'l info

As stated the byf code 98 is an Oberndorf manufactured rifle and in 1942 the rear sight would have been numbered to the rifle, pretty hard to replace. However the DOU44 is restorable particularly if the parts on it match. Actually it was made at Bysterica, Czechoslovakia not Brno, all Brno made rifles were stamped DOT or SWP not DOU. In 1944 many parts were not serialled to the rifle in the interest of faster production so if you can get a late war Czech stock( laminate with cupped buttplate without a bayonet lug) with fittings you can restore it to pretty much original issue. I wish I owned them.

arrowheadhunter Guest

Thanks for all the great info, I have been stuck in hours of reading and pretty addicting stuff. I have one more thing to share and maybe you can help identify. It is wwii vintage German I believe. look at pics. Thanks again.

MG 08 Maxim Machinegun barrel

arrowheadhunter Guest

Thanks!