Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

You would have to mod. them yourself, I got these in the early 80's and paid dearly but I bet today they can be had for less. I had two German marked ones like new but sold them before my state went on the magazine ban and I think these are Canadian or Polish 8mm as they have a single small letter in a circle.

Pura Vida
    ...MJ...
    Last edited by MJ1; 08-05-2011 at 06:09.
    "Own only what you can carry with you; know language, know countries,
    know people. Let your memory be your travel bag."

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Many thanks!

Any time

"Own only what you can carry with you; know language, know countries,
    know people. Let your memory be your travel bag."

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Just looked at IMA's ad in the latest SGN, they have raised them from $50 to $89.95.... My luck!

MJ-1, sent you a private message.... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jgaynor View Post
    Some "authorities" installed 25 round "air service" magazines in m1903 snipers (W&S). While it makes fun picture is there any real reason to believe these oversized magazines were really used as sniping equipment?

Regards,
    Jim
    The point of oversize magazines on bolt guns wasn't sniping but to deliver a higher volume of fire, usually from defensive positions. I understand the Marines were useing some high capacity magazines for the M1903 rifle as late as the Guadalcanal campaign.

The Germans were very short of sniper rifles for most of World War II and pressed all the foreign captured sniper weapons they could into service. The G43 "sniper" rifle with the little ZF 4 telescopic sight is just one example to the stop gap measures the Nazis took in the Sniping arena.
    Last edited by Art; 09-28-2011 at 12:39.

It would be interesting to view a photo or two of a US Marine with a larger than five round magazine on the Model 1903. Any other documentation might support your statement.
    The Marines did use large capacity 100 rd drums on the Colt 21 TSMG's provided to them by the US Post Office Dept during the 1920's to guard the US Mail. The Marines also used the 50 rd drum during the banana wars and in WW2. The BAR is always seen with the 20 rd magazine from WW1 to Korea

What type of high capacity magazine was used - from your understanding - on the Model 1903 rifle ?
    Last edited by RCS; 09-28-2011 at 04:06.

Let me just jump in here; I seem to recall reading or hearing that in the Guadalcanal campaign, some BAR mags were tack welded to 03 trigger guards but I cannot give you a reference or any evidence.

The BAR magazine will not fit into the trigger guard unless you saw-off both sides of the magazine, then you could insert a BAR magazine. Now you have to look for a magazine spring to provide enough power for the cartridges to feed in a bolt action 1903. How would you tack-weld the BAR to what metal part on the 1903 ? the BAR magazine is one inch across the back (unloaded) while the inside diameter of the 1903 magazine section is .910 at the rear and .818 at the front, you are going to need a very large hammer to insert that BAR magazine into the 1903 trigger guard.

What is wrong with the five round stripper clip ?

Quote Originally Posted by Griff Murphey View Post
    Let me just jump in here; I seem to recall reading or hearing that in the Guadalcanal campaign, some BAR mags were tack welded to 03 trigger guards but I cannot give you a reference or any evidence.
    I'm in the same boat. I read an article on the subject, I think in The American Rifleman. If I can find it I'll post the reference.