1. Default What Mauser Ammo?

I just acquired a K98 Mauser, and i would like to get some ammo for it. What should I look for?
    Surplus? Much of the Romanian ammof is MIA, but I do have a line on Yugo ammo. But the Yugo does not seem to have a good rep.

Commercial? Wolf looks promicing, as does Prvi Partizan(?) http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.as...id=42&name=8mm

The Mauser I bought was advertized as a shooter, and I would like to honor that trait... and shoot it! Any help would be much appreciated
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

I play it safe (and corrosion-free) and shoot new manufactured Sellier & Bellot 8mm. Boxer-primed and good brass for reloading as well.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=310300
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

I've been pleased with the Prvi ammo I shoot in my 6.5x55 and 7.65x53 rifles. I seem to recall it clocks decent velocity without excessive recoil. I haven't shot their 8mm but I would expect it to perform like the others I've seen.

I have had no problems with the Yugo. Yes it is corrosive but that is what they used for years. You just have to clean the same day you shoot with hot water to flush out the corrosive salts then follow up cleaning with your favorite solvent as normal. Of course it depends on how much you plan on shooting .

5. Default

I purchased 12 boxes of the the PRVI Partizan, as it what priced to sell. Not to mention PRVI gets decent reviews:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...98&groupid=190

The Mauser I picked up has decent grooves and lands, b ut has a dark bore. I really don't want to corrode the rifle anymore than age already has... if that makes any sense(?)
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

The PRVI is downloaded significantly from the German specs. The best surplus ammo is FNM (Portuguese) from the 1970's. It matches German specs. Harder to find now, but excellent ammo.

The Yugoslavian ammunition actually enjoys a good reputation as accurate and reliable except for some of the 1953 stuff which is notorious for low hard primers.
    As for it causing increased wear or corrosion, as long as you clean your firearm after you shoot it the corrosion is a non-issue.
    Plus, it does not cost a dollar a shot.
    Learn to reload.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by P. Greaney View Post
    The Yugoslavian ammunition actually enjoys a good reputation as accurate and reliable except for some of the 1953 stuff which is notorious for low hard primers.
    As for it causing increased wear or corrosion, as long as you clean your firearm after you shoot it the corrosion is a non-issue.
    Plus, it does not cost a dollar a shot.
    Learn to reload.
    Learning to reload is easy... affording the equipment to reload is the hard part.