Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Default

1. My Swiss Army Knife-yes, the multitool of its era. The can opener saw the most use.
    2. My old GI Parka with the old heavy fake sheepskin liner. Wore mine as my winter overcoat for 20 years after I left AD.
    3. A small clip one flashlight. Got a lot of mileage out of it.

The weapons I was issued in the Army weren't exactly my "possessions," but the M14s I carried were obviously important to me though I can't say I was really attached to them.

I suppose if there were any things I was issued I was really attached to they were my M43 Field Jacket, I was issued one of the last of the line. Unfortunately I got battery acid on it and it wasn't pretty after that. The other was my pair of electrical safety shoes. These cork midsole safety shoes with a fiberglass reinforced toe were a prized item that was only issued to certain electronics technicians. I actually still have mine over 40 years later, and use them sometimes. Not only were they great footwear but it was against regulations to "spit shine" them and because of them I never had to blouse my trousers when on duty except for the occassional inspection .
    Last edited by Art; 11-16-2012 at 08:16.

Maybe the most missed.....
    The parka I was issued when I got to Goose Bay Labrador in early 1962. That was the warmest coat I've ever had. Unfortunately I had to surrender the well worn remains of it when I shipped back to the States in mid '63.
    The wife has bought other coats for me in places like Burlington Coat Factory but they have never been as toasty. The civilian reproductions just don't measure up. No telling what a parka like that would cost nowadays. More than I could afford, I'm sure.....

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

In the armored cav, we had to SHAVE. I had a mirror made out of stainless steel (or it was chromed steel) and it was the size of any army I.D.
    Everyone on my tank used it to shave with. When I came home on convalescent leave after having been in the hospital for 6 months, I gave it to my life long friend Pat who was on his way to Vietnam and he used it for a long time till it got lost somewhere.
    My next most prized possession was my ZIPPO lighter.
    Last edited by Former Cav; 11-18-2012 at 03:30.

5. Default

Toss up between a 5 1/2" sheath knife or my Colt Python.

I guess my most prized posession was my liberty card second most was my ID card, couldnt get the liberty card without the I D card

Still have mine, just like it! Great for power outages. Two mantel gas lantern to match with a gallon of fuel to go.
    OLDBRK42

I want to play. Two things- one issued, one non issue(sort of). We were issued steel toed shoes on the flight line. They'd get so tattered that we used duct tape to hold the soles on. One night this idiot showed up for work drunk. I should have known enough to stay clear of him but he managed to run over my foot with a 1 ton tow tractor. Those shoes saved my foot. When winter came (Texas) we were issued warmer jackets. These were just a pile of surplus coats from where ever. Guys grabbed the cool looking M 43's(?). They didn't have liners. I'm from Alaska and I take cold weather seriously. I found a fleeced line jacket with a heavy collar with sleeves long enough for my lanky body. I loved that jacket. I brought it home with me but it got ruined.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Just found my good fishing Hat from Diego Garcia, I have another boony hat that used to have all my deployments written in the headband but they have faded out, and I still have my Cowboy Sheriff hat I wore in Turkey. I think I have a thing for hats...LOL
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Served with the 187th Airborne RCT in Korea during 1951. I picked up a japanese bayonet during early advances. Had it chromed when we got back off the line. But, time to go home MP's said it was not on the list to TAKE home. I asked if it was on any list that said it COULD NOT be taken home. MP said "NO". Needless to say he got my bayonet. Hope he sat on it................