Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spotting scope for range shooting

I'm in need of a recommendation. A few years ago my brother gave me a Bushnell 18x-36x scope for my range shooting. I have found it to be just adequate for spotting .30 cal hits on a variety of targets and inadequate for 5.56mm shooting at 100 yards. I'm tired of squinting through through it and constantly readjusting the focus. Therefore I would appreciate a suggestion as to what power of magnification you think is best for range shooting from 100-200 yards and even beyond. I'm also desiring quality optics and am willing to pay a few hundred bucks. Thanks in advance.
    Bruce

I believe a really good scope will cost more then "a few hundred bucks". The higher magnifacation will not work unless it is coupled with really HIGH quality optics. My scope cost 160 bucks or so and it is useless at 200 yards w/30 cal unless the light on target is JUST right, seldom happens!
    Any thing you look at, be sure and take it out side and test at a distance, (signs, etc.) even if the sales clerk has to go with you.
    Last edited by dave; 06-29-2011 at 12:01.

Five years ago the Konus 80mm spotting scopes were thought to be a good value for a lower priced spotting scope. The only concerns were the lack of a waterproof rating and some reports of the mounting ring breaking. I have used this scope for casual shooting and matches and it has served well. If I had to replace the scope today it would be with a Konus 100mm scope. The 100mm cost a little over $100 more but is waterproof, has a metal body and a larger objective lens. The 80mm Korus cost $220 and the 100mm is $330.

Jim Owens reviewed the Konus 80 mm spotting scope:
    http://www.jarheadtop.com/KONUS.htm

http://www.opticsplanet.net/konus-ko...ing-scope.html
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/konus-ko...ing-scope.html

4. Default

As with so many other things, when it come to optics "You get what you pay for."

"A couple hundred bucks" isn't going to get you much

But even if you buy the most expensive scope and use it on the highest magnification it isn't going to reliably show you even .30cal bullet holes much past 200yd. There is too much distortion and loss of resolution due to haze, mirage, light, and other factors.

Contrary to what many believe, in highpower competition, spotting scopes aren't used to see bullet holes. Rather their primary use is to read conditions.

The minimum *objective* size for this is generally around 50-60mm. A larger objective (up to 100-120mm) will gather more light giving a better image so bigger is better as long as quality is maintained and weight isn't a factor.

Magnification is generally around 25-30X and very often fixed rather than variable.

If your type of shooting requires you to see bullet holes and is at a distance where that's possible try using "shoot-and-see" type targets or place a reflective backer behind the target (eg, a white kitchen garbage bag draped over a second target stand).

Maury

I've seen people use six inch telescopes for spoting scopes. Pretty large but you can see a fly at 100 yds.

I've got the Konus 80mm also. Price is right and it does the job. About 2/3 of the guys I shoot Highpower with use them. Optics planet has about the best price. Go to Jarheadtop.com for a good review of this scope. Jim sells it as well.
    If liberals knew what they were missing, they’d give up drugs, sex and rock-n-roll for shooting and hunting. But then the rest of us would never draw an elk tag, so to hell with 'em! — James "Mitch" Vilos aka (Pancho Vilos)

Chaz,
    I just started HP shooting last year, and not wanting to break the bank before I knew I wanted to keep doing it, I bought a NcStar 30-90x90. It goes for about 120. My goal was to be able to see .30 holes at 200 yds, which it will do except for in very low light or very heavy mirage. This allows me to practice by myself without having to walk down range so much. However, it is BIG and heavy and the image quality drops dramatically after about 45 power. The focus knob has a ton of backlash too. Much of the scope is plastic and in fact it rolled off my truck seat and onto the floor and the eyepiece broke off. Rats. Glued it back on and it still works. Good scope for the money.

I just ordered and received the Konus 80 fromJarheatop.com and used it at a match last weekend. Worked just fine. image quality is better than the NcStar but the field of view is noticeably narrower. I am wanting to compare them side by side soon.

Most people prefer the angled eyepiece.

+ 1 what Maury said. Go with the angled eyepiece also.

Like the white garbage bag idea. Will give it a try next time out.

regards, dennis
    Last edited by C5M1; 06-30-2011 at 07:30.

Blog Entries

I agree with Maury that past 200 and even at 200 during the heat of the day it's going to be tough to see holes. That being said, my Konus 20-60 x 80 is great except the tripod is flimsy junk. I can see .22 holes at 200 easily early in the morning.

A highpower shooter told me on the walk up and score at 200 courses they would do things like put white styrofoam sheet behind the target. He said he took some coathangers and made a frame that extended behind the target I guess about 18" at the top and attach colored fluorescent paper to the extended frame at the top and the target frame at the bottom, the idea is to catch sunlight and have it reflect through the holes. He said even a white sheet of butcher paper is helpful.

All we do is cut out the cardboard to the size of the aiming black so natural light can come through better.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    ...the tripod is flimsy junk.
    This is a very important point.

If you intend to do any position shooting you're going to want a proper scope stand.

There are plenty of designs available. Which one is "best" is mostly personal preference. I like my Ray-Vin; I didn't like my Freelands.

Bottom line is, if you have to buy new, plan to add another $150-300 to your eventual "scope system" budget

Maury